Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How can I tell whether I have a LG or Samsung screen on my MacBook Pro with Retina display?

How can I tell whether I have a LG or Samsung screen on my MacBook Pro with Retina display?

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 12:02 PM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Go to your Applications folder and launch Terminal. Paste in the following and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Question marked as Solved

Apr 23, 2013 1:30 PM in response to Tic_Tac In response to Tic_Tac

Go to your Applications folder and launch Terminal. Paste in the following and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

Apr 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 14, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Mogambo_kush_hua In response to Mogambo_kush_hua

Mogambo_kush_hua wrote:

Even I get the same thng in my second line

Color LCD. There is no LSN and LP in the second line. What does this mean?

It probably means you have a 13" screen; that terminal command only works with the 15" screen.

Sep 14, 2013 7:33 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 6, 2013 10:56 AM in response to Tic_Tac In response to Tic_Tac

It seems the strings location has changed. Type this one instead :

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r

I run this on macbook air 13 and here is the result :

?????????x??WT?'"PT?"??P?00 6??LSN133BT01A02?Color LCD

PT?K???qO?@??V^???)P0 5UP!?

You can still see the manufacturer code LSN or LP on the first line right before "?Color LCD".

Nov 6, 2013 10:56 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Tic_Tac

Question: How can I tell whether I have a LG or Samsung screen on my MacBook Pro with Retina display?