Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can categories be graphed?

Can a Numbers (OS X) graph get its data from Categorized values?

I have a simple table of investments. Each row is an investment. Each investment is defined by various attributes including investment value.

Using Numbers' Table Categorization capabilities via the Reorganize feature, I can categorize the investments by each attribute and see the total value by attribute. I'd like to create a pie chart of the resulting categorization using the categorized table.

Is this possible? I have yet to figure out how.

Currently, I capture the categorization results and paste them into separate/independent tables for the graphing. However, I would prefer to have those pie charts generated dynamically whenever I change the categorization.

Thanks in advance.

-David

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 3:46 PM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2013 5:41 PM in response to DaverDee

David,

In short, no.

That shouldn't deter you though. It's quite easy to build a summary table from which to make a chart.

Take a look at the SUMIF and SUMIFS functions. You can study them in the Help menu, the Function Browser or the Formulas and Functions User Guide. If you show us what your table looks like we can suggest a specific approach.

Jerry

Apr 23, 2013 6:25 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

First off, thanks for the quick responses. Second, below are example screen shots of the simple Assets table showing the investment attributes and values. Below the Assets table are the graphs with their associated separate/independent supporting tables. (Note: The dummy data of all the tables divorces any continutity between them.)

As noted above, I copy the different sets of categorized cell values to each graph's supporting tables when I update the data.

Jerrold...Hmmmm...sumif's on the Assets table from the graph's supporting table. The light bulb was turned on. I think I see what you are pointing to.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2013 8:27 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks again for the SumIf idea. It worked out better than I thought because I get the dynamic graphs as the data changes AND the graphs stay put when I change the categorization.

In the end, I have a nice tool that shows me asset allocation of various investments.

As a heavy Quicken user, this tool extends the capabilities from what I get from Quicken.

Can categories be graphed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.