Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facebook buddies not showing up in messages

just today most of my facebook chat buddies are now showing up in messages even though I know they are online, then maybe one or two will show up at random then it goes back to "nobody available" I know FB chat is buggy over jabber but im woundering if anyone knows how to fix this

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 7:48 PM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2013 11:59 PM in response to digitalrex

I am having this exact same problem as well. I set up Facebook Chat this evening on Messages and even though it is connected, it only shows at MOST three facebook friends online (most of the time it only shows one online...and sometimes no one). A quick check of facebook chat in-browser shows that I have at least 5-10 friends online.

Not sure if this is an issue on facebook's end or my end but I'd love to figure out what's going on.

Apr 24, 2013 2:18 PM in response to digitalrex

Hi everyone,

Is there any info at Facebook about issues with the "Chat" server ?

Have they changed the Security settings again ?

There was an issue where there was a level of security about using different Browsers for Multiple Logins and you had to change the setting to allow them.

It has been suggested that this should apply to "Apps" rather than just browsers.

User uploaded file
10:18 PM Wednesday; April 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 25, 2013 9:31 AM in response to applesince1982

When Messages loads, it doesn't load any facebook friends and then one or two will pop up. It seems like it's not able to load the people who are currently online....only the ones who sign on after you sign on.

And, after a couple minutes, even if your friends stay online, they disappear from the list.

It's almost like Messages is JUST displaying recent sign-ons.

Apr 25, 2013 12:53 PM in response to applesince1982

Hi,

Having read everything that is categorised as "Messages" in the Mountain Lion Community and the ichat forum as well I am aware of blips now and then in some problems being reported.

In the case of Facebook it seems to be happening again.

My reading has led me to believe that you can login in a Browser and do most things such as "Chat" (As Facebook calls it) once "Chat" has been enabled.

It seems secondary browsers (possibly Mobile Devices or a different computer) have been issues from time to time in the past.

The last time Facebook seemed to be having problems was the resetting of this browser thing which seems aimed at multiple logins.

As it was a "Security" thing as far as I could make out to set the Facebook Setting to allow Multiple browser from what people said about what they had to do to sort it - I had presumed to ask if it was similar setting this time.

My personal view is that the Multiple Browsers or multiple Logins issue also effects other apps that could login for a Jabber based chat client app (not Just Messages but say AdiumX on a Mac or a Jabber app on a PC)

On one hand Facebook appeared to be allowing access from the Mac OS and from iOS apps but then seemed to have got concerned about the issue and lack of security of multiple logins or at least access.

It would appear they are now moving in the other direction without informing their user base.

User uploaded file
8:53 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 25, 2013 12:59 PM in response to mknlsn

Hi,

That Thread seems to have started in Feb '13 and been resolved by the end of March (from what I read) and then has started up again towards the middle of April '13

It would appear that those originally effected were in the last round of issues with Facebook. (setting needed for Multiple Browsers (?Logins) )

User uploaded file
8:59 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

facebook buddies not showing up in messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.