Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to sudo cs delete an encrypted hard drive but get an error "Not a valid CoreStorage Logical Volume Group UUID"

Ok so I encrypted an internal HDD with DOE compliant encryption, and forgot the password. I am not using a typical mac bootloader so apple C when its booting will not work to delete it before its mounted. I have to do it through the terminal. The drive I want to delete is HDD2. Here is the screen capture of running diskutil cs list in terminal.

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Then I disconnected everything to avoid problems, leaving my encrypted HDD only, copied the UUID, it's in this format:

diskutil cs delete XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

But I am unsure which group or physical UUID I need to use, there are three associated with HDD2, logical volume group, physical volume and logical volume family. I thought before pressing enter I better ask first ... as I tried it on the physical volume first and I got the error in the title so dont want to start guessing what do to.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 4:23 AM

2 replies

I need to sudo cs delete an encrypted hard drive but get an error "Not a valid CoreStorage Logical Volume Group UUID"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.