Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete user account

I am using an iMac desktop running Lion. I had a problem last night. When I tried to login, I typed in my password. It seemed like it was going through its normal routine but it took me back to the gray screen where you type in your password. I tried typing in my password again and again, but it never worked. It always went back to the gray screen where you type in your password. I tried restarting, it didn't work. I tried running the disk utility, it didn't work. I went online with my Macbook Pro and found the following article:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3622

I tried resetting the PRAM, it didn't work. I evenually tried step 6 - resetting the password, it didn't work. I tried

Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. That didn't work, but when I restarted the machine, I now had two options to login, my regular identity and a new one called "Other". Eventually, I tried reinstalling Lion. That DID work, but now when I start the machine i still have the two indentities at the login screen. How can I get rid of the identity labled "Other"? I tried going to "Users and Accounts" to delete it, but that didn't work. The "Other" identity is still there when I login. How do I get rid of this? Thanks!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 8:05 AM

5 replies

delete user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.