Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on
If your Macintosh computer won't turn on, here's how to troubleshoot it. Please keep in mind that although your computer may display similar symptoms that prevent it from showing video, this article discusses what to do if the computer won't turn on, meaning that when you press the power button:
- You don't hear a startup chime.
- You don't hear any fan or drive noise.
- The power button or power indicator doesn't light up at all.
If your computer doesn't display any video, it may display one or more of these similar symptoms when you press the power button:
- You may hear a startup chime.
- You may hear fan or drive noise.
- You may see the power button or power indicator light up.
If any of these conditions occurs, see Troubleshooting: My computer has no video instead.
If your computer won't turn on, try each of these steps:
- Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
- Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the side or back of the computer.
- Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
- Reset the computer's PMU, SMC, or PRAM. Refer to the instructions for your model:
reset SMC For "Mac wont' turn on or boot" and related
Mac OS X Help
Isolating Issues in Mac OS
Get Help with your Product
Mac OS X & Mountain Lion Community