9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 8:25 AM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I sometimes use one of these commands in the hope that I will later be able to retreive whatever it was that I wanted to save. This usually never happens. In other words, I don't understand how these commands are supposed to work so, for me,  using them has the same result as clicking  on "Trash". Where do things go when you use "Save" or "Save As"?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • CT Level 6 Level 6 (17,365 points)

"Save" writes the changes to the current file - it's wherever the file is that you are editing.  Usually you can command-click on the title of the file (at the top of its window) to see where it is located.

"Save as..." should always bring up a dialog box which allows you to select the location for the new file.

If this isn't what happens on your machine, something is seriously wrong.

What happens on your machine?  What is the nature of the files you are thinking of?

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I never use these commands UNLESS I HAVE NO CHOICE, because I don't understand them. Today was such a case. There was an article that I wanted to save, but I  was unable to do what do what I usually do, which is to use "export to" or several other commands that enable me to send the article somewhere, be that E-mail, Desktop, or wherever. That's why I chose "Save As". I had hoped to be able to find the article later. I had thought "Documents," but it wasn't there. [I just had a thought. Maybe I can find the article with "Spotlight". I'll await your reply, but I'm going to try "Spotlight" now.] Oh, as to directions, I didn't see anything. I might have missed them, but I didn't see anything asking me where I wanted the article to be placed.

I found the article with "Spotlight," but it wasn't  filed anywhere, it was in "messages". Anyway, after finding the article, I managed to save it by going to FILE in the menu bar>SHARE>E-mail to myself. This is the way I most commonly save articles, but it depends on what is available. It's always a trip to the menu bar and then to FILE, EDIT, VIEW, etc. to see what is available for saving the article. Other times I just print it. I wish there was an easier way.

How are you reading these "articles", that is, with what application?

Safari, although I sometimes use Opera, Google Chrome, or Firefox.

In Safari, if you select File > Save As..., doesn't a window drop down which allows you to pick locations for saving?

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 9.00.19 AM.png

• macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,650 points)

If your Save As looks like this click on the arrow button.

by_default_2013-04-24_at_8.04.37_AM.jpg

CT and macjack:

Okay, I get it now. It's as easy as it should be, and I've now done it enough times--I hope--that I'll remember it the next time it comes up. I guess I just didn't see notice the screen you refer to on my attempts that failed. Anyway, I'm now quite satisfied with the "Save As" procedure. I might add that while searching for the answer, I came across several people who were unhappy about some changes that Apple has made with the use or operation of "Save As". I can relate to that, because I'm unhappy with what they've done to iTunes and Mountain Lion, but that's another story. As far as "Save As" is concerned, I'm content. Maybe it's another case of "Ignorance is Bliss". Thanks for your help.