Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading ram in 2008 aluminum macbook 5, 1

I have late 2008 Macbook 5,1 with intel core 2 duo processor. My ram is 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3. I run Mac OS X version 10.6.8. I don't want to upgrade to mountain lion because of all the problems I heard about it

I really do not know too much about ram and other computer hardware stuff and would like to upgrade my ram. I want to get the newest version of Logic Pro to make my own music and feel my cpu doesn't have the memory to run the program well. I went to the apple store and the guy said that the max that is recommended on my model is a total of 4GB of ram with two 2GB DDR3 chips. I don't know if that will be enough to run logic on my CPU. I would like to upgrade to more if possible.Also, getting a new laptop with a new processor is not in the cards right now.

-Does anyone know what the max ram I could use on my macbook?

-What type of ram cards should I get?

Again, I want the maximum ram that my computer will run fine on. Also, my computer has never had any problems and still runs quite well.

thank you!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 9:29 AM

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

13 replies

Apr 24, 2013 9:31 AM in response to gmcguitar4

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You have the specs of the memory the Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook needs in this site > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#link2

A Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook supports 4 GB of RAM officially, but you can install 8 GB. You can buy the RAM in OWC or Crucial > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3 Logic should run with 4 GB of RAM, but more memory won't hurt to the MacBook

Apr 24, 2013 10:15 AM in response to gmcguitar4

I actually own both 2GHz and 2.4GHz late 2008 Macbook Uni - they both can be upgraded to 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM - that's what I have in my Macbook.

When you decide to purchase your RAM - do not install non-Apple Certified/Tested RAM - you will have nothing but issues. Spend the extra $5 - $10 to get the ones that are Apple Tested.

RAM made by Cruicial, G.Skill, Mushkin, Patriot, Corsair all offer Apple RAM.

Depending on where you live - expect to spend $45 - $65 for 8GB DDR3 1066MHz Apple Certified/Tested RAM.

Nov 7, 2014 8:20 AM in response to gmcguitar4

Hi all, i now running mountion lion10.8.5 very good.
i upgrade my macbook 2GB 1066 DDR3 (ori) to 8GB 1333 DDR3 (now)
and upgrade intel 120GB SSD and 500GB sata harddrive (remove DVD)
now running well....if no upgrade part pls dun go upgrade mountion lion 10.8 becoz u will feel slow slow slow......
this macbook 5.1 already maximum upgrade part....pls dun go upgrade10.9 is support but will slow.

Upgrading ram in 2008 aluminum macbook 5, 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.