Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TCP Port 62078 on my iPad is open

TCP Port 62078 on my iPad is open with tcpwrappers - also UDP Port 5353 is open/filtered - is this normal? How can I close these ports? On my Macbook Pro they are closed. I do not like having open ports on my network.

Thank You

Bob

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, iPad gen4

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 9:31 AM

There is no firewall on the iPad, at least nothing accessible to a user other than as part of the Settings interface that activates and deactivates functions in the iPad, and and hence no way to custom-close any ports.

Apple doesn't list use of any ports in the 62xxx range in their documentation, so I have no idea what that might be used for. 5353 is the Multicast DNS port used for Bonjour, AirPlay, Home Sharing, and printer discovery and is normal to be open. You can shut those ports off in your WiFi router or at your firewall for your WiFi system, but that may break functions in the iPad.

Regards.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2013 9:31 AM in response to rjw1678

There is no firewall on the iPad, at least nothing accessible to a user other than as part of the Settings interface that activates and deactivates functions in the iPad, and and hence no way to custom-close any ports.

Apple doesn't list use of any ports in the 62xxx range in their documentation, so I have no idea what that might be used for. 5353 is the Multicast DNS port used for Bonjour, AirPlay, Home Sharing, and printer discovery and is normal to be open. You can shut those ports off in your WiFi router or at your firewall for your WiFi system, but that may break functions in the iPad.

Regards.

Apr 24, 2013 10:01 AM in response to rjw1678

The only thing I could find out about TCP Port 62078 is that it is referred to as iphone-sync and is used with the iTunes sync and is some how secured. UDP 5353 comes up in my nmap scan as open/filtered - also what UPD Port 5353 is used for on iPad is limited to the local network for mDNS. Also when my iPad is at home my Verizon FiOS Actiontec Router has a firewall, which I have turned on, so the iPad is fairly secure.

Later

Bob

Nov 10, 2014 1:55 AM in response to rjw1678

I maintain a firewall for our corporate network and management asked for a mDNS proxy so that their iPhones on our Wi-Fi network could see our Airprint printers on the Ethernet LAN. I regularly see firewall log entries for traffic from desktops on the LAN to iPhones on the Wi-Fi network. At first it seemed random, but then I realised that the desktops and the iPhones were assigned to the same user in each case. The iPhones have presumably been paired with the desktop (iTunes) in the past and the iPhones are using mDNS / Bonjour to look for desktops that they have been previously paired with. The desktops are communicating from ports in the range of 60289 to 62089 and always direct to port 62078 on the iPhone. We don't have iPads on our network (as far as I know!), but from the Original Poster, it appears that this may also be the case with iPads.

A little bit of digging found an article about Juice Jacking : http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=2345

So this port is used for iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi synching, as mentioned by rjw1678. Once a pairing has been established with a computer, then your iPhone or iPad will always try to pair with this device until such time as you perform a factory restore on the iPhone / iPad.

TCP Port 62078 on my iPad is open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.