Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility tells me to repair the disk but when I do it says it's ok

My MacBook Pro started acting sluggish yesterday so I checked things out using Disk Utility / Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk. The Verify and Repair Disk options told me this.. "the volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired us…es window appears, choose disk utility."

I then restart pressing the command key and the "R" key until the OSX utility screen appears. Next, I select "Verify Disk". It tells me that "The volume XXX appears to be ok. The partition appears to be ok." So, I am now stuck. Any ideas how to remedy this situation? Any help is appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 10:10 AM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2013 4:02 PM in response to David Park2

If the computer is started up from the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) and Disk Utility finds errors on it, there is not necessarily anything wrong. Only when started up from the CD should Disk Utility reports of errors on the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) be considered accurate.

Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume

Apr 24, 2014 10:44 AM in response to David Park2

I am running into the same thing. Guess I need to put the Install Media onto a USB Drive & boot from that instead of the recovery partition??

Booting while holding down command-R was supposed to boot of a seperate partiiton & be fully capable of repairing the disk - that's why Apple was "able" to stop shipping with install media, etc. This seems like a real shame that we have to follow hacks like this one: http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html

Aaron (someone growing less & less enamoured with Apple daily).

Disk utility tells me to repair the disk but when I do it says it's ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.