Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do with 40 1st generation iTouch just 3 years old. I can't update the IOS I can't install educational apps no one supports 4.2.1

What can I do with 40 1st generation iTouch just 3 years old. I can't update the IOS I can't install educational apps no one supports 4.2.1

I contacted Apple and I am still waiting for them to reply two weeks later!

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 11:38 AM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Dean4e

If you're a school, Apple has a trade-in program for educational institutions you could look into to upgrade to newer iPods:

http://www.apple.com/education/docs/Apple-Trade-InProgram.pdf

Otherwise there's nothing Apple could tell you other than sell the iPods or find a reseller willing to accept them on trade. A first-generation iPod touch will not run any version of iOS later than 3.1.3, and a second generation iPod touch nothing later than 4.2.1. There are still apps that run on those versions, but they're getting fewer and fewer. Getting newer iPods is going to be your only avenue to being able to run more current apps. And if you do, I'd advise expecting only a two-year lifespan out of them, at least as far as keeping up with the latest version of iOS and apps is concerned.

Regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.