Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password reset issue for users

Ok this is driving me nuts and hopefully there is a simple answer.

I am running a new fully update 10.8 server. I have setup open directory and have profile manager running. From the server app I go into the users pane, i select a standard user (non admin) and right click to choose reset password. I enter a new password in and verify and click ok. To test this I goto the my devices page from the web and it gives me an invalid password message. I know its right. I have reset it and restarted the server to no avail. What can be going wrong here?

Mac Pro, MBP 2.16, iMac G5, Mac Mini 1.5, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 2:06 PM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2013 4:27 AM in response to SeanWells

I think you may have two different things confused.

The 'devices page' is part of Profile Manager. Profile Manager is used for setting up computers. It can only be used by an administrator. No non admin user should be able to use Profile Manager.

If you are resetting the password for a 'standard user (non admin)' then the way to test this new password would be to try to do something this user can do: perhaps log into a computer, or use the wiki system.

Apr 25, 2013 12:53 PM in response to SeanWells

Hi Sean,

do you have other services up and running?

E.g. AFP service and try to connect to a share using the new password.

Does this work?

Any interesting info in LDAP log?

And: do you mean with restart the server - full reboot of OS X server machine?

And what page are you calling? http(s)://my.server.com/mydevices directly or via first call to http(s)://my.server.com/profilemanager?

~ Markus

Apr 25, 2013 3:59 PM in response to Markus Guske1

I have Calendar, Contacts, DNS, File Sharing, FTP, Messages, Open Directory, Profile Manager, Software Update, Time Machine, Web, and Wiki running.

I tried to connect via FTP and that didnt work either unitl of course I did a restart of the machine. And yes I mean a full restart power cycling and all of the machine.

The only weird thing in the LDAP log is a random entry like:

Apr 25 13:49:17 server.myserver.com slapd[168]: get_ssa: conn 1233 unknown attribute type=dsAttributesAll (17)

Every now and then.

The page is directly myserver.com/mydevices.

Apr 26, 2013 4:00 AM in response to SeanWells

Sean,

I would stop every service and then lauching only:

1. DNS

2. Open Directory

3. File Sharing

and then: "last time" (hopefully) reboot of the machine.

This is to reduce the sideeffects.

After the reboot I would check the logs of all those services after the reboot and check if they writing errors into.

What is happening then?

~ Markus

P.S.: Anyway, how is your server installed? Is this server available from the internet or only in a local network?

Apr 27, 2013 12:44 AM in response to SeanWells

Hi,

mmh do you mean: no firewall? - This sounds bad - your system is open for the bad guys.

I suggest to start with an easy part: AFP - this is off SSL and you can check if changing passwords is working.

Anyway: my thumbs are up.

~ Markus

Btw. maybe this links helps you (but you need google translate, but should be possible to read): http://www.thorstens-blogwelt.de/anleitung-installation-und-aufbau-mountain-lion -server/ .

Password reset issue for users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.