Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on my mac will not send or receive messages

I have my apple ID enabled in the settings for messages on my iPhone and on my macbook air. I am logged in and I have all of my contacts available, but when I try to send a message it is blue and I get the red exclamation point that says the message was not sent. I also do not receive any iMessages on my computer when I am logged in. I am, however, still receiving them on my phone.

I've been trying for 2 days to get this to work. What can I do?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 2:49 PM

18 replies

Apr 24, 2013 4:24 PM in response to eak9749

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Apr 25, 2013 1:37 PM in response to eak9749

HI,

On the iPhone are Messages Blue or Green balloons ?

Blue are iMessages (sent with WiFi connections) and Green are SMS messages sent over your Cell/Mobile Carrier.

If they are green then the router (if both are connected at home) may not be allowing the ports iMessages needs.

Check the router is doing UPnP as the method of opening the ports.

User uploaded file
9:37 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 25, 2013 2:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

HI,

Have you set all the ports by Port Forwarding or Port Triggering ?

This would cover most of the Messages features except for Screen Sharing that uses a Random Port.

User uploaded file
10:59 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 26, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Linc Davis

Umm,

Apple have this Document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4245 which includes this table:-

Ports

FaceTime

iMessage
80 (TCP)
443 (TCP)
3478 through 3497 (UDP) -
5223 (TCP)
16384 through 16387 (UDP) -
16393 through 16402 (UDP) -

Apple also have this Document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1507 for iChat which covers the ports needed for all the Non iMessages stuff that Messages does.

Admitted the Yahoo Login is not mentioned and the AIM Logins have been changed to port 443 (something the regular iChat posters have been suggesting for years)

Later versions of iChat use a smaller group of Ports for A/V chats (16393-16402) and SIP is moved off the 5060 port.

As most domestic routers have ports above 1024 closed then the iMessages port 5223 maybe an issue.

I am presuming that Apple are using something similar to a Jabber server database to store the telephone Numbers and Apple IDs.

Having said that Little Snitch does not report on the use of port 5223 to Apple (It maybe a first run thing)

As it is likely to be an outgoing connection it is likely to be allowed anyway.

It would seem that the iMessages side of Messages and therefore the app on the iOS devices can get through a router with no settings.

Seems I need to remember iMessages is only part of Messages and is not as needy port-wise.

User uploaded file
8:25 PM Friday; April 26, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 26, 2013 6:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

4/27/13 9:49:21.223 AM Messages[993]: IMKClient: exception caught trying to get the rootProxy for connection ((** NSConnection 0x7f84fba099f0 receivePort <NSMachPort: 0x7f84fba224a0> sendPort <NSMachPort: 0x7f84fba9b7d0> refCount 7 remoteUsesKeyedDO: 0 **)):

NSInvalidReceivePortException : connection went invalid while waiting for a reply because a mach port died

4/27/13 9:49:21.224 AM Messages[993]: This exception was thrown inside thread: <NSThread: 0x7f84fac106a0>{name = (null), num = 1}. This thread is the main thread.

Apr 27, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Yes. They are the ports that need to be opened in some manner.

My experience, starting with iChat 2, is that if the ports iChat uses that are above the 1024 threshold are not opened then the app will not connect. This used to effect AIM and Jabber Logins and AV Chats. (Obviously Later versions of iChat and now Messages use port 443 to Login to AIM)

A simple test is the AIM Login port used to be port 5190 on the TCP Protocol.

This could be changed and for many years the regular iChat posters suggested port 443 (below the threshold and used by Mail and Web Browsers)

However the AIM File Transfers (pics-in-Chats and Files) uses port 5190 on the UDP protocol (As do Direct IMs and groups chats).

The move to this Port/Protocol when using port 443 to Login can stop File Transfers and Direct IMs (pics-in-chats will place the info message mid chat about changing to Direct IM).

The Set Up in routers can vary considerably and some do list things like Port Forwarding and Port Triggering as being under Firewall Settings.

As the Apple Table suggests the iMessages side uses ports below the 1024 threshold and so would be open anyway - the exception being that 5223 port.

I would guess our experiences with different routers has led to our understanding in this area.

User uploaded file
7:33 PM Saturday; April 27, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 27, 2013 11:40 AM in response to steeves5

Hi,

I am afraid that seems to be just a random quote from the Console app.

It looks like it does apply to the Messages app.

I would guess you are in Australia judging by the post time and time quoted in the Log

(I see 02:50 as the Post time {British Summer Time} and the log shows 9:49 of the same day)

Are you using a Proxy server to connect ?

User uploaded file
7:40 PM Saturday; April 27, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages on my mac will not send or receive messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.