Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing graphics with with transparent backgrounds such as .psd or .eps

I want to use this for an art project for my sons class. Can I import .psd files with transparent backgrounds as per Word, to retain the clear cut shape/opacity of background. Or can I import .eps illustrator files with transparent backgrounds? Thanks.

iPad

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 2:52 PM

... Question is re importing images into Pages App on iPad...

4 replies

Apr 25, 2013 5:14 AM in response to Sue Pep

No, you will not be able to use .PSD or .EPS files in their native file format. You will need to out put them into a usable format such at gif, jpg or png. If you need transparent backgrounds, GIF is your best best bet.

Phtotshop (psd) files cannot be read by typical word processing applications, so I'm not sure what you have been doing with those in word, but it can't simply be importing them. MS Word will import eps files, but unless you are preparing a document for professional printing, I wouldn't know why you would use that format.

Apr 26, 2013 4:57 AM in response to Sue Pep

If you need transparency - as I stated - you need to convert the image to GIF. PSD is a layered graphic workspace file specifically for PhotoShop; EPS can be read by more applications, but is still basically a graphic print format. It might serve your customer needs, but wouldn't be the format I would recommend for general distribution. Typically you wouldn't embed EPS in another file, it would be the container for the print ready document (and the concern for transparency would be somewhat moot).

However, I'm not familiar with the intimate details of your project or customer needs, so take that for what its worth.

Importing graphics with with transparent backgrounds such as .psd or .eps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.