Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Promise VTrak E630f

Hello Apple Community,

I have a Promise VTrak E630f and I am trying to connect it to 2 Mac Pro's with Fibre channel cards. But only 1 computer can see at any given time. I'd like for both of them to access VTrak simultaneously. What can I do? Any help is appreciated!

Xserve, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Right now it's a Mirrored RAID

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 5:06 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2013 6:01 PM in response to paradeshi

Hello Paradeshi:

It is possible to have multiple computers accessing the VTrak at the same time. If you have a dual port card in your Mac, you will need to connect each computer to both controllers in the back of the VTrak. Each controller will have 4 fiber channel ports. This should allow for both computers to see the volume.

NOTE: The VTrak does not control which computer has read and write access to the volume. If both computers have direct access to the volume, it will cause corruption. You will need SAN software to manage write access to the volume to prevent this. A couple of examples for SAN Software are XSan or SANmp.

The other route you can go is to have a volume isolated to each server. This will prevent the computers from overwriting the same areas of data that can cause the corruption.

If you would like more information about setting up the VTrak to work with multiple hosts, you can call Promise Technical Support at 1 (408) 228-1500. Our VTrak line is open 24x7.

Best Regards

Kris

Promise Technical Support

Apr 28, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Boziak-PTU

Thank you so much for the response Kris.

I have 2 Mac Pro's and they both have Xsan listed under System Preferences. Do I need anything else? It looks like I need to add them to a list for Xsan to be able to control. Are there any detailed instructions available to accomplish what you are referring to?

I do like the idea of assigning different DA's to my Mac Pro's but I'm using it for video ingestion on Mac Pro 1 and edit on Mac Pro 2 so I need it to be available on both the Mac pro's. Thanks again!

Promise VTrak E630f

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.