Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having trouble understanding how the Address Book “works”.

I like to have one card for each organization not each Person, if that is possible.

For example, Thunderbirds Organization: Jeff Tracy, Lady Penelope, Mr hackenbaker. On the same card.

Is it possible to have all 3 names on the same card? I am successfully able to enter all this into the Address Book. However, when using the addresses to prepare e-mails I often find that the names get mixed up. ( Apple Mail usually puts the name of the 1st person in the group in front of the e-mail address that I select, rather than the actual name of the person that goes with that e-mail address.)

Having multiple people from the same organization on the same card seems to make sense for me. Some have advised me that I need to create a separate card for each and every person! Is that true?

Suggestions appreciated.

HackenbackerHackenbackerssss

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 7:51 PM

17 replies

Apr 24, 2013 7:55 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

I like to have one card for each organization not each Person, if that is possible.

For example, Thunderbirds Organization: Jeff Tracy, Lady Penelope, Mr hackenbaker. On the same card.

Is it possible to have all 3 names on the same card? I am successfully able to enter all this into the Address Book. However, when using the addresses to prepare e-mails I often find that the names get mixed up. ( Apple Mail usually puts the name of the 1st person in the group in front of the e-mail address that I select, rather than the actual name of the person that goes with that e-mail address.)

Having multiple people from the same organization on the same card seems to make sense for me. Some have advised me that I need to create a separate card for each and every person! Is that true?

Suggestions appreciated.

HackenbackerHackenbackerssss

In order for mail to work correctly you will need a seperate card for each individual.

May 2, 2013 5:57 AM in response to Csound1

In order for mail to work correctly you will need a seperate card for each individual.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but frankly, I am shocked to hear that it works that way.

It is quite common for me to have 7 or 8 contacts at the SAME business. That means I must reenter the same office number, business name, address, and notes over and over again for each person at the same business.

I find it interesting that Apple's address book provides a manner to enter multiple names and phone numbers on the same card but apparently this doesn't really work.

I guess I have a LOT more typing in my future.

May 3, 2013 2:50 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

It's simple: Make one card for the first person in the organization. Copy (Command-C) and Paste (Command-V). Edit the duplicate card with the second person's contact information. Repeat as needed.

Naturally, I'm familiar with copy and paste. However I played around with this for about 30 min. I could not figure out how to copy a card.

I can copy individual lines. This requires continuously going back and forth between the old card and the new card because you cannot have 2 cards open at the same time.

May 3, 2013 6:43 PM in response to Csound1

Select a card, go to Edit>Copy

I had already tried that, and tried it again.

I selected card, command "C". Then, I tried a variety of methods to create a new card from that data.

I would try to create a new card and paste, and also do a paste without selecting new card. Neither method worked. The best I could do was to copy the 1st field only. I was never able to paste and create a new card.

May 3, 2013 8:45 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

You are selecting the contents of the card. Select card, Command-C, Command-V. Voila! Duplicate card!

Thank you, it's working now. Just as you suggested.

But this whole method is really weird to me. For example, in my contact list now I have:

Acme company 1

Acme company 2

Acme company 3

Acme company 4

Acme company 5

Acme company 6

Acme company 7

ALL 7 cards have the same company name, same main phone number, same address, same comments, same fax number, and the same web site. ONLY the contact name and e-mail address are different.

I now have to search through 7 cards to find my contact person. If I know the person's name (and I often don't) I can search by name. Otherwise, I have 7 cards to examine.

May 3, 2013 9:14 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Name the card after the person. (I.e., don't check the box in front of the "Company" field.) You can add a Group or Smart Group for the company.

First, let me thank you again for trying to help me.

I rarely know the person's name. I always know the company name. Following the suggestion above my contacts would be scattered throughout my address book.

I could search by company name (even though “company” is not checked). Then look through the search results try to find the person I'm after. Perhaps if Mr. Smith is not there then I could search for Mr. Jones.

It looks like this is how the program is designed to work and I will have to adapt.

In the past I was a buyer at a corporation. All the buyers had a Rolodex on thier desk. Each “card” was organized by the name of the company. On that same card were the various contacts I had for people at that same company. It was E-Z.

I'm having trouble understanding how the Address Book “works”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.