Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synching iMessage between iPhone and Macs

My iMessage works exactly like it is supposed to, and I have three accounts linked: phone, comcast, icloud. However another user's iMessage has just one account, the comcast. I can't figure out how to add the phone number. I've tried clicking on "add email" and using the specific format that is on mine +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX but it doesn't seem to work. The number just disappears after I select it. On her phone she does have both the comcast email and the phone number obviously. But she is not able to use iMessage to continue conversations from the iPhone like I can. She can send messages out and receive them, but conversations do not sync. When I come back to my computer after a day I will find most of my conversations carried on my phone present in iMessage, but that is not the case for her account.

We have a Macbook Pro and an iMac running 10.8.3 with the same problem. I don't know how to get her iMessage on the Mac to work like mine does. I added her phone number to her Apple ID account but no effect. Getting frustrated! Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 12:40 AM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2013 8:26 AM in response to Michael Sosa

Besides not being able to add the phone # for some reason, I also noticed another difference: If I open the Chat Contacts window my account is show online, while hers offline. Choosing to get her account online has no effect. Choosing to disconnect and reconnect from her Apple ID did not impact this. Her Apple ID is the comcast email, so if one is online and able to send iMessages why would her account appear offline for Chat buddy purposes?

Ah, just noticed that you have to be on AIM to be shown available! Ok, now we are both available but I still can't get the phone number added to iMessage to synchronize conversations accross multiple devices.

Apr 25, 2013 2:20 PM in response to Michael Sosa

HI,

You are talking about some features that relate to what were iChat type accounts (AIM, Jabber and Yahoo logins) and issues with an iMessages account.

Messages can join different services.

iMessages tend to be "first" as it is heavily prompted at the first run of the App.

However you may have AIM or Jabber IDs that were being used in iChat in earlier versions of the OS.

The Messages Menu > Preferences > Accounts will show a list.

If you have registered and Apple ID for iMessages it will have iMessages and Bonjour (everyone get Bonjour).

If you Enable the Bonjour account you will now get a "Buddies" item in the Window Menu and bottom left of the main Messages window you get an "Account" showing.

Adding AIM or AIM valid Names or Google and Jabber IDs adds to the List in Preferences and to the ones listed in the Main Messages window.

The Windows Menu > Buddies items in then a combined List for all Non iMessages accounts (The ones that have Buddy lists.

These can be separated by the item in Messages Menu > Preferences > General Section.

It is the Buddy Lists that can be Available or Away or in some cases Invisible.

These menu settings do not apply to the iMessages account.

As Linc says, excluding issues that might apply to your Carrier, removing the Apple ID from the iPhone and then placing it in Airplane Mode for few Minutes (break with server) and then re-adding the Apple ID is normally the way to go.

User uploaded file
10:20 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Synching iMessage between iPhone and Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.