Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DCIM folder

There are several photos on my iPhone 5, but when it's connected to my PC by cable, the PC can see the DCIM folder, but not its contents--so I can't transfer the photos.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:50 AM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2014 2:23 PM in response to JimHdk

Thank you for answering "the why it is like that" but not the "how to access other "DCIM" subfolders" XaviewOnassis & myself are asking.

Two questions.... well 3 actually

1) Where are the other "DCIM" folders, such as Instagram, Facebook, User Created Folders?

2) Why can't you create a Folder in the DCIM to but pictures/videos to access via PC/Windows Explorer connection?

3) Why are Albums created on the iPhone to organize pictures in Camera Roll, not visible as folders in DCIM so you can access, manage, etc? In other words, if iPhone allows me to organize them as per my needs, why do I have to find them again in one of the many folders that compose Camera Roll?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 2:30 PM in response to HansWorldTravels

1. Those "folders" do not reside in the DCIM folder. The DCIM folder holds the camera roll. You can not directly access photos on the phone that are stored outside the camera roll.

2. Because you can't. The iPhone does not behave like a flash drive or SD card.

3. Because they are not. No one here can speak to why Apple made the design decisions they did.

Jan 16, 2014 4:29 PM in response to KiltedTim

[breathes deeply]

Thank you???

I have expanded this discussion.... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5795034

Nothing will ever become better if the answer to people's problems, needs and wants is "Because you can't."

#2 answer above, you are telling me that Apple has some super secret technology that stores images/files exactly like an SD or Flash, but doesn't "behave" like one?

DCIM folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.