Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2008 SSD Speed?

So I just added a 6GB/s SSD drive to my mac pro in the lower optical drive bay, I have a link speed of 1.5GB/s and a max read speed of around 260mb/s - this seems a little slow, so I was wondering if the lower optical drive has a slower rate or shared with the optical drive? would plugging it directly into the board give me a 3GB/s link speed?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 5:06 AM

you would need to invest in a PCIe SATA controller that is SATA III 6G

Some let you attach the SSD directly on the card, and support two.

That is the only way to get higher I/O but even so you should feel how much quicker apps and files open and how even opening dozen apps at login is fast and smooth.

The native drive bays are SATA2 3G btw.

Sonnet Tempo Pro model is worth a look and is bootable and would support 900MB/sec with two. Often better used for media scratch than a system though.

I have Samsung 840 120GB in stock drive bay - very pleased.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2013 5:06 AM in response to bagwaa

you would need to invest in a PCIe SATA controller that is SATA III 6G

Some let you attach the SSD directly on the card, and support two.

That is the only way to get higher I/O but even so you should feel how much quicker apps and files open and how even opening dozen apps at login is fast and smooth.

The native drive bays are SATA2 3G btw.

Sonnet Tempo Pro model is worth a look and is bootable and would support 900MB/sec with two. Often better used for media scratch than a system though.

I have Samsung 840 120GB in stock drive bay - very pleased.

Apr 25, 2013 6:54 AM in response to bagwaa

260MBytes/sec * 8 bits/Byte give a speed of 2080M bits/sec. You seem to be using SATA 2 (up to 3,000 M bits/sec) transfer speeds and the drive appears to have topped out as fast as it can get data out of the cells.

If you were stuck at SATA 1 speeds of 1,500 M bits/sec, the SATA 1 transfer speed would limit you to (1500 M bits/sec / 8 bits/Byte) about 187.5 M Bytes/sec., still not too shabby.

Mac Pro 2008 SSD Speed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.