Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add korean subtitles in FCP 7 ?

I have read many posts in forums that tried to solve that issue, however, even when we use the right fonts (Gulim, Batang, UnDotum, etc : I've downloaded a bunch !), we still have some "alien" symbols instead of korean letters. Not for all the sentence, but for some letters.

It was funny first, but then, after trying several "solutions", it got annoying.

I tried creating my subtitles in After Effects 5.5, but I had the same issue, only this time a gap appeared in the sentence. I bet Premiere will face the same issue.

In Motion, a square appeared.

I haven't tried Avid, but won't be able to, since we don't have the software.

I am out of solution ...!

Here is a screenshot of some alien symbols in Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 :

User uploaded file

Thank you in advance for your help !

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 9:47 AM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2013 11:24 AM in response to Lezardeuse

>>I tried creating my subtitles in After Effects 5.5, but I had the same issue...

This isn't a FCP, After Effects, Premiere or Avid specific problem.

All of those software titles adopt the system wide settings for fonts, keyboard layout and the physical keyboard.

If you can write in Korean in any software that allows for typed input such as word processors, email or even sticky notes, you can create the titles in your video production software.

Apr 26, 2013 6:00 AM in response to Lezardeuse

Lezardeuse wrote:

I copy and paste from a PDF sent by my client, could this be the source of the issue ?

Yes, copy/paste from pdf can be very unreliable, especially for non-latin scripts. I am surprised only one character was messed up. It is much better to use a text file or word file for such things.

If you open the pdf with Adobe Reader and do File > Properties > Fonts, you will perhaps see the name of the embedded Korean font. Using that one might help, but might not.

To input your alien correctly, open Character Viewer, add Unicode to the list at the left via the gear wheel at the top left > customize, and find C138, and double click on it.

How to add korean subtitles in FCP 7 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.