Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I crop a section of a clip with the range tool?

I want to crop a section of a clip to get a close up of a singer. When I use the range tool to select the section and then crop, the entire clip is cropped. Can I use the range too to do this or must I be confined to using the blade to split the clip into three sections? It obviously would be more convenient to use the range tool. Please tell me how to do this if it can be done.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 10:21 AM

11 replies

Apr 25, 2013 3:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

So what good is the range tool? It would seem that the same problem you mentioned would exist anytime you tried to make any changes in a part (range) of a clip, not just cropping but color, etc. I took a course at the apple store and the instructor said with the range tool there is little use for the blade tool anymore. Thanks for all your help.

Apr 25, 2013 3:42 PM in response to lburech

The range tool makes a selection. It can have a lot of uses, particularly editing uses and for audio adjustment, but not fir what you're doing.

For your purposes for cropping you should keyframe, for color correction you will need to split the clip.

Apple store instruction in my experience is not very good. Taking professional video instruction from a salesperson is not a good idea. They may have application certification (I emphasize may) but almost never have actual production experience.

Apr 25, 2013 10:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the prompt response. I took your advice and put in a position keyframe for the full image as shot by the camera and then moved the playhead a sufficient distance and put in another position keyframe and cropped a closeup of the singer. The result was a smooth zoom into the face of the singer, but after a while, I wanted to go to the full image again. How do I get the full image back?

P.S. I am just a hobbyist, so I have little alternative to Apple Store Instruction. I did buy the Diana Weyland book and am trying to work through it. It, however, has specific examples and does not seem to cover what I am trying to do here. Thanks for all your help.

Apr 28, 2013 1:10 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

So here's what I did so far. I cut a section of the clip using the blade tool. I then lifted the section above for ease of use with the position tool. I then put in a keyframe at the beginning of the clip under scale. I then moved the playhead right about a minute and tried moving the scale slider but could not get it to center on the face of the singer. How do I target the face of the singer for the second keyframe location with scale? I assume this will then produce a smooth zoom to the face and hold it there for the duration of the clip. Thanks for your patience.

Can I crop a section of a clip with the range tool?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.