Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have downloaded/imported a lot of music to iTunes and wish to set up playlists for my different devices(pod,pad,phone), but I do not see all my music in iTunes. Can you help me find all that music so I can create playlists for my devices? Thanks.

I have downloaded/imported a lot of music to iTunes and wish to set up playlists for my different devices(pod,pad,phone), but I do not see all my music in iTunes. Can you help me find all that music so I can create playlists for my devices? Thanks.

iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 9:49 AM

To locate your iTunes music/non-iTunes music:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\
  • Windows Vista: C:\Users\username\Music\
  • Windows 7: C:\Users\username\My Music\
  • Windows 8: C:\Users\username\My Music\

To get back iTunes Music: Downloading past purchases from App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

To get back non-iTunes Music (CDs or Third-Party): How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer (may also works on older computers)

From there you can redownload your music and create your playlists on itunes. Good luck.

Message was edited by: keeferaf

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2013 9:49 AM in response to philbondi

To locate your iTunes music/non-iTunes music:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\
  • Windows Vista: C:\Users\username\Music\
  • Windows 7: C:\Users\username\My Music\
  • Windows 8: C:\Users\username\My Music\

To get back iTunes Music: Downloading past purchases from App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

To get back non-iTunes Music (CDs or Third-Party): How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer (may also works on older computers)

From there you can redownload your music and create your playlists on itunes. Good luck.

Message was edited by: keeferaf

Apr 25, 2013 12:54 PM in response to keeferaf

keeferaf, my apologies if this is frustrating for you. I do appreciate the help. iTunes, for whatever reason, will not pick up the Media Folder when I select it in edit/preferences/advance. Do I have to re-boot the computer?? I did exit iTunes and re-started and it was picking up the selected folder, but none of the music in that folder.

For example, my music is in:

c:\users\pcuser\music\itunes\itunes media. Lots of music right there, and it's not being recognized.

I think I'm out of ideas!

Apr 25, 2013 1:39 PM in response to philbondi

iTunes doesn't scan a designated media folder and (only) show what is in it. Changing the media folder tell iTunes where to put all new content that it manages; purchases, rips, podcasts, or imported files that are to be copied to the media folder, etc. If you want iTunes to add what is in that folder to the library then use File > Add Folder to Library and select the folder in question.

If iTunes still won't "see" the media then try this.

Repair Permissions

Check that your iTunes files and folders have the correct security permissions. Right-click on the iTunes folder and click Properties, then go to the Security tab and click Advanced. If necessary grant your account and system full control to this folder, subfolders and files, then tick the option to replace permissions on child objects which will repair permissions throughout the library. This is the XP dialog but later versions of Windows shouldn't be too different. (Repeat for any other media folders in separate locations.)

User uploaded file

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.