Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Empty Trash

Hello,

I am currently using a 2009 Mac mini, and recently whenever I go to empty the trash, I keep getting this error: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." This prevents me from emptying the trash and I can't delete anything at all. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? I have tried restarting my computer many times, so don't give me that lame old response. Thank you to all that can help me.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 12:42 PM

Few ways you can do it..

Right click (or CTRL-click) the trash icon - Hold down the ALT key and click the Empty Trash

If that doesn't work, boot your mac into Safe Mode (Hold down SHIFT and turn your mac on) when you see a progress bar, let go of shift. Log into your user account and click the trash can to open it in Finder, then click the word Finder at the top left of the screen and select Secure Empty Trash.

Let us know if those work 🙂

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2013 12:42 PM in response to U4iA

Few ways you can do it..

Right click (or CTRL-click) the trash icon - Hold down the ALT key and click the Empty Trash

If that doesn't work, boot your mac into Safe Mode (Hold down SHIFT and turn your mac on) when you see a progress bar, let go of shift. Log into your user account and click the trash can to open it in Finder, then click the word Finder at the top left of the screen and select Secure Empty Trash.

Let us know if those work 🙂

Apr 25, 2013 3:19 PM in response to U4iA

1. Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/.Trash

2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services â–¹ Show Info

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

3. The dialog should show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section. If that's not what it shows, click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your password when prompted. Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons to give yourself Read & Write access and "everyone" No Access. Delete any other entries in the access list.

4. In the General section, uncheck the box marked Locked if it's checked.

5. From the action menu (gear icon) at the bottom of the dialog, select Apply to enclosed items and confirm.

6. Close the Info window and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard ( command-C). Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Can't Empty Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.