Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages App fails to send - How often do you have to 'Try Again'?

If the Messages client has been running for a while, when I send a message, it always fails to send, Anyone else suffer with this?

I am running latest version of OS X on a rMBP connected to a Thunderbolt Display. The Display is connected to my Airport Base Station by Ethernet and the Base station connects to my router over WiFi.

The network is connected with a 100MBps VirginMedia connection and now that I am connected through the Base Station rather than directly from the MacBook through it's WiFi NIC.... In other words, the network has a rock solid connection but the Messages App seems to go to sleep and then fail to send the first message that I send after a period of inactivity.

Does anyone else have a simillar problem?

Message was edited by: Smithy1428

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), New iPad,iPad mini, iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 1:54 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Smithy1428

Hi,

I presume the Airport Base Station is set to "Join Another Network" and is effectively extending the Router's Wifi ?

i.e. the Airport Base Station is not actually routing itself.

I have not noticed any issues regarding not sending "first" messages after a period of Messages being Open but behind other apps.

I have seen people post things about "Application Sleep" but I am not entirely sure if it is available on all Macs.

I can't seem to find any setting on my iMac.

There can be issues when the computer Sleeps and cannot re-establish Network connections as fast as the app starts up.

However to be caught up in this you would have to be a fairly fast typist.

User uploaded file
10:46 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 25, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Smithy1428

HI,

I am on Sky and have their fibre service running at about 27Mbs on the advertised 30Mbs service.

As I said I am not sure is Application Sleep is a myth, or applies only to Laptops as part of the energy saving profile.

It is not something I experience and cannot replicate.

This leave me unable to help - other than sometime rewording something to make sure I have understood - which in turn might help someone else see the issue.

I really ought to explore the OS more than I do.

User uploaded file
10:56 PM Thursday; April 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages App fails to send - How often do you have to 'Try Again'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.