Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Patch changes with hardware synthesizers

I've been using Mainstage for a few days, and I totally love it.

I was wondering if I could connect 2 synthesizers to Mainstage and use it to change their patches during live performances, without using any MS sound.

Thank you in advance

MainStage, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:08 PM

13 replies

May 21, 2013 1:34 PM in response to lifenoise

this is pretty much what im needing to do as well (but with only 1 keyboard). I'd like to use the keyboard's own patches but use mainstage to cue/change them.

im VERY new to MS, i can see how to do what 'lifenoise' instructs - i can add the external instrument channel strip however i completely fail to go passed this step. i cannot see how to actually use the keyboard patches?

can anyone please help? i am playing keyboard 1 in a show next week, i have 195 patches changes and i have no idea how to set this up 😟

May 21, 2013 2:49 PM in response to rhbarnes80

I don't think I gave the complete procedure in my last response. Once you add an external MIDI channel strip you will see "MIDI Out" above an emtpy box near the top of the channel strip. Select the box and you should see your external MIDI device among the selections. If you don't, you'll need to connect it via MIDI-to-USB or USB, if available. Open Audio MIDI setup. If you're connecting via USB, make sure it shows up in the MIDI studio window.If you're connecting USB-to-MIDI, first add aMIDI device and name it, then "connect" the device by "dragging" a cable from the MIDI out of the USB to MIDI device to the MIDI in of your external MIDI device. When all this is done properly youwill see your device in the box I described in the external channel strip. Select it, then select the MIDI channel it receives. Next, go to to the external channel strip inspector and select the the MIDI output tab. This where you enter the program and bank change numbers. Next, select the MIDI input tab. Make sure your keyboard is the input, or if you want no keyboard input, select none. If you are sending AND receiving MIDI data with this one keyboard, you'll need to turn off local control in the keyboard. If not you'll get double-triggered and stuck notes. Maybe this is too much info, but if you need any more specifics, let me know.

May 22, 2013 12:24 AM in response to lifenoise

many thanks for your reply. im now not with my keys/mac until later tonight, however what you have said makes sense and should be ok.

The only part i do not know how to do is entering the program and bank change numbers - i may be being completely stupid but i have no idea what these numbers are or how to find them. obviously i am aware that on my keyboard i enter a number to go to the correct tone, but i dont understand how to get the program/bank numbers from this, in order for me to enter that info into MS.

Sorry if im being thick, but i appreciate all the help you are giving me 🙂

May 22, 2013 6:25 AM in response to rhbarnes80

First of all, let me correct something from the last post. You don't need to disable local control on your keyboard. If you record MIDI data in Logic or other sequencers you may need to do this, but not with Mainstage.

Program numbers usually go from 1 to 128 per bank on your keyboard. In the MIDI spec it's 0-127. So the program change number you send to your keyboard will be offset by 1. In Mainstage, in the MIDI out tab of the external instrument chaneel strip inspector, check the send program change box and enter a number. If you want patch 1 on your keyboard send it program change 0; if your want program change 5 on your keyboard, send it number 4, etc. If all the patches you need are in the same bank, don't even worry about sending bank numbers. However, since you mentioned using 195 patches, you'll need to address the issue.

To send bank select, check the box and enter the numbers. Bank MSB(most significant byte) and LSB(least significant byte) are probably explained your keyboard's manual. You'll probably find these numbers in the MIDI data list section. Look for the pages that list the preset and user voice lists. Above the list, you'll see something like "MSB=63, LSB=3", for example. You don't have to know all about MSB and LSB, just the numbers that correspond to your banks. After setting the numbers, select another patch in the Mainstage patch list and then select this one again to make sure it's sending the desired numbers.

If you still have trouble, let me know what keyboard you're using and I can look up the info you need.

May 23, 2013 3:27 PM in response to rhbarnes80

Is your keyboard connected via MIDI or USB? Is the keyboard not receiving the program change? Try downloading MIDI Monitor at the snoize website. It a great(free) app that helps you determine what MIDI signals are transmiitted and received. Is your keyboard set to the same MIDI channel as the one your sending from Mainstage? What's the keyboard make and model?

May 25, 2013 5:35 AM in response to rhbarnes80

I know exactly what the problem is. The RD700 only sends program changes in setup mode. It can store up to 100 setups. The 10 main buttons are lbeled piano, elec. piano, strings, etc and by default send prg ch 11, 21, 31, etc. They act as 10 banks. Use inc/dec buttons to access the additional 9 patches in each bank. Hope you can figure out a way to make it work for you. Contact Roland support for additional advice. Good luck with your Mainstage setup. Glad to help anytime.

May 28, 2016 9:49 AM in response to lifenoise

Hi

I'm sorry to revive such an old topic, but I'm having a very similar issue with MainStage and a Roland keyboard and thought you may be able to help.

I need some help with getting a Roland RD-800 to respond to external MIDI messages in order to select a "Live Set".

I am sending the MIDI messages from an external instrument channel strip in MainStage. I can send a message to select an individual tone. For example, if I send a message on channel 1 with MSB 84, LSB 2, PC 84 (numbers detailed in the RD-800 Sound List manual), I hear tone 0340 Slow FullStrings on the RD-800. The display doesn't change to reflect that this is the selected tone (I'm not sure why), but the tone is selected nonetheless.

However, if I try the same process to select a Live Set rather than an individual tone, nothing happens – the display still doesn't change and there is no sound at all. For example, if I want Live Set B-01, the Sound List states I should send MSB 84, LSB 64 and PC 21. I try sending the message on channel 16, and on the RD-800 I have set System->Live Set Control Channel to 16, but still nothing happens.

The RD-800 is connected via USB, I am using the driver downloaded from Roland's website and the USB Driver setting on the RD-800 is set to "Original".

I am hoping this is something very simple that I have overlooked, but I just cannot figure it out.

Can you tell me where I am going wrong?

Patch changes with hardware synthesizers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.