Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook will no longer connect to my wireless printer.

My MacBook (circa 2010 - it's not a MacBook Pro) stopped connecting wirelessly to my HP printer (3050 J610). I get a message, "Printer is offline." The printer is on and I have no trouble printing from my iMac. I appreciate any advice/insights. Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:09 PM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2013 2:03 PM in response to Shane_R@HP

Thanks Shane. I have restarted the computer and the printer multiple times. I've also shut the whole system down, unplugged everything. Plugged back in again and rebooted my router. Still nothing. So frustrating.

If I connect to the printer via USB, it prints fine.

If I try to connect wirelessly, it looks like the job is starting to print. The computer searched for the printer. Then I get the "printer is offline" message.

Not sure what you mean about remove/readd the print cue. I did delete the printer from my MacBook. Then I connected via USB to add it back again. That didn't work. Is that what you mean?

Apr 26, 2013 5:35 PM in response to LCM55

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're all users here.

There is a 'Reset Printing System' command:

, System Preferences, Hardware, Print & Fax, right-click (Command-click) on the printer in question in the left column, as illustrated below, and select Reset Printing System.

WARNING NOTE: This WILL delete all printers AND print cues AND saved settings, if you have saved your own 'custom settings' for the printer, and named them, such as 'Staples Glossy Photo-rear feed', those WILL disappear.

Then you then will need to reinstall all printers, and re-create any custom settings, so if you have a lot of custom settings saved, make screen captures (+shift+3) for the things you customized BEFORE you reset.

Yes, this is drastic, but if nothing else works, AND THE PROBLEM IS NOT CAUSED BY A PRINTER MALFUNCTION, this has always worked for me to cure my wireless print problems such as you describe.

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: kostby

My MacBook will no longer connect to my wireless printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.