Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps and 3G/4G GPS?

I have a third generation iPad running iOS6.1.3 with the latest version of Apple Maps - I think!

I do not have the 3G/4G facility operational as there is currently no SIM installed.

I also have NavFree maps and this latter uses my iPad's GPS ability to allow me to track my movement when out and about, it loads the map, finds me and tracks as I travel.

Apple Maps, however, seems to present a series of grey patterned lozenge shapes unless I am connected to wifi. The little blue pin is there, beaming away, but whether that is actually where I am I cannot tell as I appear to be in the middle of a landscape of grey lozenges! The pin does, though, appear to "move" as I do, although that may be either an optical illusion or wishful thinking!

Is this one of Apple Maps legendary bugs - sorry, undocumented features?

Can it be that the free NavFree maps harness the inbuilt GPS facility available on my model and yet Apple's own Maps doesn't?

Surely not!

If it is a still to be resolved bug, then when is it likely to be fixed?

And if not a bug, then just why does Apple provide GPS ability and yet not provide a mapping system which can use it?

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, 64GB 4G

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 3:55 PM

There are no replies.

Apple Maps and 3G/4G GPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.