Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photos not in album

Is there a way for me to delete photos that have been imported but are not in an album? Whenever I import pictures, I import all of them and then move the ones I'd like to keep to the appropriate album. I'm sure I have a bunch of wasted space with photos I decided I didn't want to keep. Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 11:12 PM

You delete photos from your iPhoto library, by deleting them directly in their event. Is your problem, that you need to find out, which photos are part of an album, when you are browsing your events?

You can quickly find all photos that are not in any album by creating a "Smart Album".

• From the "File" menu: File > New > Smart Album
  • Then add a rule: "Album is not Any"

User uploaded file

This will create an album containing all photos that are not in any (regular) album.

Now you can flag them to be able to recognize them in their respective events, or move them all to a new event, so you can delete them from this event all at once.

• To move the photos in the smart album to a new event select them all at once while viewing the smart album and then use "Events > Create Event".
  • Check this new event, if it contains any photos you would want to keep and to add to albums, then trash the new event.

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2013 11:12 PM in response to 105437

You delete photos from your iPhoto library, by deleting them directly in their event. Is your problem, that you need to find out, which photos are part of an album, when you are browsing your events?

You can quickly find all photos that are not in any album by creating a "Smart Album".

• From the "File" menu: File > New > Smart Album
  • Then add a rule: "Album is not Any"

User uploaded file

This will create an album containing all photos that are not in any (regular) album.

Now you can flag them to be able to recognize them in their respective events, or move them all to a new event, so you can delete them from this event all at once.

• To move the photos in the smart album to a new event select them all at once while viewing the smart album and then use "Events > Create Event".
  • Check this new event, if it contains any photos you would want to keep and to add to albums, then trash the new event.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 26, 2013 7:48 AM in response to léonie

Good idea, I didn't think of creating a Smart Album.

My problem is that I shoot a ton of pictures for each event but only end up keeping 25% of what I shot. In order for me to have a good look at the pictures to decide what to keep, I import all of them and then move the ones I want to keep to an album. Thus leaving behind a bunch of pictures I don't want anymore.

I'll try what you suggested and create a Smart Album with the criteria you used. That way I can bulk delete what I don't need.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2013 9:31 AM in response to LarryHN

Remember that iPhoto does not like emptying large iphoto trash bins

Good point, Larry!

In order for me to have a good look at the pictures to decide what to keep, I import all of them and then move the ones I want to keep to an album.

Another way to do this would be to use the ratings. I give photos that I want to keep a rating of at least "***", and then delete the photos with a rating of less than "***". You can search for ratings using the search field.

Delete photos not in album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.