Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access Apple Hardware Test

My Mac mini (mid-2010) recently started having a problem detecting the hardware for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (which upon my research, is the same chip). Luckily I have an Ethernet port, and connected to my network via that. I thought I'd carry out a hardware test to see if the problem was indeed with the hardware for Bluetooth/Wi-Fi or with the antenna, so I booted up my Mac holding Option+D to boot into the Apple Hardware Test. However, it starts to load Internet Recovery and then shows an exclamation mark with "apple.com/support -1005D" underneath.

I've searched everywhere for this error but to no avail. Does anyone know what this means, and if there's another way to get into the AHT?

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 1:12 AM

13 replies

Apr 27, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Actually, that is not true.
AHT is on BASE VOLUME which build on hidden partition of system disk (shipped)
Press and hold D-key after boot up chime and hold for about 45 sec
see User Manual Chapter 4 page 57

Checking for a Hardware Problem

If you suspect a hardware problem, use the Apple Hardware Test application to help determine if there’s a problem with one of the Mac mini components.

To use Apple Hardware Test:

1 Disconnect all external devices from your Mac mini, except the keyboard, mouse, and display. If you have an Ethernet cable connected, disconnect it.

2 Restart your Mac mini while holding down the D key.

3 When the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen appears, select the language you want to use.

4 Press the Return key or click the right arrow button.

5 When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow the onscreen instructions.

6 If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make a note of the error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test doesn’t detect a hardware failure, the problem may be software-related.

Important: If Apple Hardware Test doesn’t appear after restarting, hold down Command (x)-Option-D and restart the computer to access Apple Hardware Test from the Internet. Your computer must be connected to a network that has access to the Internet.

Apr 27, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Zandera (tm)

Thanks for the responses and links Zandara, however; firstly the hard disc in my Mac has since been replaced, formatted and Mountain Lion installed since the Mac was originally shipped, so I don't think that hidden partition will exist anymore, and secondly, I have executed both an SMC and PRAM reset and neither work.

Ultimately, I think the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi card has died. I have Genius Bar appointment for 29th April booked to have this looked at anyway, I just wanted to do what they are going to do beforehand.

Apr 28, 2013 2:22 AM in response to thatbookisopen

I did some test here.

I have an ADSL 20Mbps Down/1Mbps Up. My LAN connects to the Internet through an ADSL Modem/Router that has NAT and Firewall enabled.

In my experience, it is not possible to start AHT from internet or OS X Internet recovery until that computer is behind a Firewall or NATted LAN.

Errors like -1005D or other strange codes happens in such a condition.

To successfully perform those mentioned procedures I had to put the computer directly connected to the Internet, no NAT, no Firewall involved.

On my router configuration there is an option called DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), where it is possible to specify a LAN IP address that is not filtered in any way.

Hope it helps.

Unable to access Apple Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.