Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to iWork if I deauthorize my computer

I am using a Mac at work which came pre-installed with iWork. I used my personal apple ID to update Pages, Keynote & Numbers.

What happens to these apps if I deauthorise the Mac? Can they then be updated with another Apple ID?

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 11:51 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2013 2:03 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Work had purchased a new iMac for my workstation. It came pre-installed with Pages, Numbers & Keynote. They needed updating, so I signed in with my personal Apple ID in the App Store to update them. I have since created an Apple ID to be used for work purposes. My question is, what happens if I sign out of my personal Apple ID, and sign in with the work one? When Pages, Numbers & Keynote need updating next time can I use the work Apple ID or are they now tied to my personal one?

Thanks,

C.

Apr 26, 2013 7:22 AM in response to CrystalApple

Legally the copies for your work and for yourself are 2 separate purchases.

You are entitled to install on your own computer/s using your Apple I.D.

I suppose you could create a personal account on the office Mac and install on that.

Frankly there is no physical requirement for you to arrange it whichever way wish, just an ethical one.

The iWork apps are so cheap, surely work can simply pay for its own set. One day you will not be working there and they should have their own software, not be accessing yours.

Peter

Apr 26, 2013 11:49 AM in response to CrystalApple

I think that once an App Store application is associated with an Apple ID, it can't be reassigned to a different one.

When your employers "allowed" you to sign in with your personal Apple ID for the bundled applications, in effect, they were giving the bundled applications to you (albeit inadvertantly; the applications should have been associated with a company Apple ID before the computer was given to you). I don't think signing in to the App Store with a company Apple ID will prevent "your" copy of iWork from working on the company machine, but it probably won't update unless you sign in with your own ID.

If you would care to share some details about how you signed in with your Apple ID and updated preinstalled versions of the iWork applications, it might be helpful to some other people who have been posting here about their inability to do just that.

Apr 26, 2013 5:21 PM in response to Jeff Shenk

Thanks, Jeff. That os what understood as well. To answer your question, work bought a number of macs for various different locations with iWork pre-installed. They were set up to work with any apple ID, just as iLife is. So all I had to do was run Software Update. The App Store then lists what needed to be updated, the updates included, iPhoto, OSX 10.8.3, Pages, Number & Keynote.. I clicked update all. It asked me for an Apple ID. I signed in with mine (I should have created a work one dirst, doh!) and they all updated.

We had some machines that didn't work that way (my plan was to use a different 'work' apple ID for each location).

I'm in process of working this out with Apple. They are going to have to refund iWork for some of the machines & repurchase. Sounds to me like the original install was wrong before they shipped them.

Hope that answers your question.

What happens to iWork if I deauthorize my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.