Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook G3 flashing question mark after replaced hard drive...

My ibook froze so i turned it off, when i turned it on again the flashing question mark was showing... i went through all the suggested 'keys' while restarting and nothing helped... i tried reinstalling tiger by usb by holding the option key and it worked but when i needed to select the hard drive, there wasnt one available... i went to disk utility and nothing was there either so i read somewhere that i should try diskwarrior which i did, after 11 hours it worked and after maybe 15 minutes of using the ibook it froze, this time i waited half an hour before i turned it off again and the same thing happened... i tried disk warrior again and it was on for 4 days so i just shut down the computer...i thought it would be best to just replace the hard drive... now after replacing the hard drive the same thing has happened again with the flashing question mark... i tried to reinsall using both the ibook disks and the tiger usb and no hard drive is showing anywhere... what could be the problem, someone please help me im loosing my mind!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 2:58 AM

Hello,

If disk utility is not showing your new hard drive, then there has to be a fault with the iBook logic board or you don't

a fault with the ribbon cable used to connect the drive with the logic board, but I doubt that would suddenly stop working. Really does sound like a problem with the logic board and I would suggest a diagnose from the Apple Store or an authorized Apple service center.

If you have an Apple Hardware Disk, try using that to see if there is any faults shown up.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2013 2:58 AM in response to DaniB84

Hello,

If disk utility is not showing your new hard drive, then there has to be a fault with the iBook logic board or you don't

a fault with the ribbon cable used to connect the drive with the logic board, but I doubt that would suddenly stop working. Really does sound like a problem with the logic board and I would suggest a diagnose from the Apple Store or an authorized Apple service center.

If you have an Apple Hardware Disk, try using that to see if there is any faults shown up.

Apr 26, 2013 3:54 AM in response to DaniB84

Hello,

I find that interesting that no matter what key you press it goes into the question mark.

You must be able to boot from a disk, as you have established nothing appears in disk utility.

Which means you must have the ability to hold down the 'C' key to book from the tiger disk.

Try replacing the cable, but I fear that it could be a problem with the logic board.

The iBook in question, wouldn't be a 14" Screen by any chance?

Apr 26, 2013 3:00 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Yes it's the 14" 900mhz... The only thing that works is if I use the USB with tiger instal on it and the only way that works is if I hold down the option key... I just tried again with the ibook discs and they're not even showing up, I have to open the disc drive with a paper clip... When I hold down c it takes me to the question mark, when I hold down option it takes me to the reload button or the arrow button, the discs don't even show in disc utility... How I get to disc utility when I try and instal the tiger from the USB... The only thing showing in disc utility is the USB drive, no hard drive...

Apr 27, 2013 2:00 PM in response to DaniB84

Hmm, the concern here would be the fact that neither the optical drive or hard drive seems to be recognized.

This would indicate a fault with the Logic Board. I still can't help wondering if the cable to the logic board is connected properly or at fault here. I've had a PowerBook which had a faulty cable. Hard for me to detect when I had no optical drive to work with. I would suggest trying another cable first. If not then it has to be a fault with the Logic Board.

ibook G3 flashing question mark after replaced hard drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.