Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Windows 7 machines to server over ethernet

Can't believe how diffficult this is proving.

Two Windows 7 machines are connected via router to Mac Mini OS X Lion Server via ethernet cable. This wired network is fine for all mac computers connected. How can I connect the PCs using ethernet, as they don't connect at the moment?

They connect currently through Wifi alone - which proves to be very unreliable, and keeps dropping connection. A wired connection would solve this.

Please help...

😕

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5 12GB RAM

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 3:17 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2013 4:12 AM in response to mr_proud

Hi

What do you mean by "connect PCs" ?

What is this router ?

Not clear to me. But what I expect is that you have no IP address on PCs for the ethernet cable.

Whe wifi is working because of it handle a dhcp server.

Mac "connect" by using mdns or they have the same "fake" subnet due to the self assigned IP so it match.

What you should try is to check the IP address of the mac, then you set a fixe IP address to PC in the same range.

Tell us more about your config and IP of each element, it will be usefull

Bye

Can't connect Windows 7 machines to server over ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.