Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi fi and bluetooth not working on iPhone 4s

Wi fi and bluetooth not working on iPhone 4s. Was working and just stopped in middle of playing a song over bluetooth to the car.

Cannot even turn Wi-Fi on, as it is grayed out. Bluetooth just searches and searches, never finding anything....

Did a restore to factory defaults and also turned iPhone off and on via the wake/sleep button, and did software resets on phone and networking. Nothing helped.

Any other ideas? Could it be the antenna or something physically internal on the device?

Lisa

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 7:42 AM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

Resolution

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Verify that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  2. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Note: This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings
  3. Ensure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.
  4. If your issue is still unresolved, perform a software restore in iTunes.

Additional Information

If you are still unable to turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2013 7:42 AM in response to lmadden

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

Resolution

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Verify that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  2. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Note: This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings
  3. Ensure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.
  4. If your issue is still unresolved, perform a software restore in iTunes.

Additional Information

If you are still unable to turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options.

Aug 19, 2013 8:22 AM in response to sam a1

Hi,

I took my 4s to an Apple Store. Evidently this is a known issue, and since I had AppleCare on the phone, they gave me a new phone FREE of charge. No questions asked.

I think if you do not have AppleCare, the cost is about $200, but don't quote me on that one.

they did not tell me WHY this happened, but I got a new phone, so am happy with that.

Lisa

Jan 31, 2014 10:36 AM in response to lmadden

Its almost as though the phones are programmed to stop working so you need to pay for a replacement or upgrade.. This problem is all over the internet, most time there is no reason for it, phone isn't hot or even warm. In most cases the phone is literally not even being held.

Ive seen this all to often to be just a technical fluke. I've worked for Bell mobility, Telus mobility and ive seen this probelm atleast once every 2 weeks, some weeks ive seen it up 4 -7 times. And it always seems to be between 1.5 - 3 years of the person owning the device.

I can accept that it could be a faulty transmitter and reciever but it happens accross all iphones and not just the older models... Why do people have to pay for a replacement when its clearly a manufacturer defect? This is unacceptable to me. Just another cash cow, weather it was intended or not.

I currently work at sasktel in canada (cell carrier) and i was helping a lady with her personal hotspot and the BT and WIFI stopped working right in the middle our session.

Wi fi and bluetooth not working on iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.