Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore from time machine to other drive

I have a new iMac with the SSD drive inside - I have an 'old' Time Machine backup of my older computer - I already used Migration Assistant to move and update etc. the Applications themselves on the SSD -- but I want to restore the DATA from the TM backups [i.e. the user folders and contents] to an external drive connected to the computer -- how do I do that???

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Mid-2011

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 1:13 PM

Hi there Victoria,

You can plug your time machine drive in, and open it in Finder like a normal hard drive. Click the 'Backups.backupdb' folder, the name of your computer, and then scroll to the 'Latest' shortcut. Navigate your files and copy over what you need.

Let me know if you need any other assistance,

Nathan

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Hi there Victoria,

You can plug your time machine drive in, and open it in Finder like a normal hard drive. Click the 'Backups.backupdb' folder, the name of your computer, and then scroll to the 'Latest' shortcut. Navigate your files and copy over what you need.

Let me know if you need any other assistance,

Nathan

Apr 26, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Victoria Herring

NathanL1192 -- it's very weird but when I look on your page it shows the beginning of your Reply but when I Come directly to this page there is no reply from you?? That is true whether or not I am signed in = see below = so I know you replied and had an answer but I can't find enough information to be sure! Thanks. - the picture below is of what I see when I look at this page = no reply, tho I know you did one.

User uploaded file

restore from time machine to other drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.