Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to tell if my phone is unlocked without using a sim card?

I updated my still under contract AT&T iPhone 4S to iOS 6.1.2 and when it completed the process iTunes popped up a message saying, congratulations your phone is unlocked. This was not the message I was expecting but it got me thinking, why would I get this message unless iTunes unlocked my phone.

I don't have any other sim cards to test this with. Is there a way to tell if it is unlocked or not without using another carrier's sim card?

I have tried to get AT&T to unlock it for me in the past when I went out of the country and they refused because it was under contract. So I just barely used my phone and only did email, texts, etc on WiFi in the hotel.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, White 32 GB

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 10:55 AM

If you can provide the IMEI number to the original carrier, they can probably confirm it for you.

AppleCare advisors might be able to see it, but I'm not sure about that and as far as I know, they're not allowed to provide that information, only confirm it.

so my advice is to contact the carrier 🙂

Message was edited by: jesterwylde

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Thom_D

If you can provide the IMEI number to the original carrier, they can probably confirm it for you.

AppleCare advisors might be able to see it, but I'm not sure about that and as far as I know, they're not allowed to provide that information, only confirm it.

so my advice is to contact the carrier 🙂

Message was edited by: jesterwylde

Apr 26, 2013 3:40 PM in response to jesterwylde

I got in touch with AT&T and apparently at some point someone there too pity on me and submitted my request to have my phone unlocked to Apple, so that it did actually get unlocked the other day when I updated my firmware.

So Yay!! Now I just need to figure out which sim card to buy when I get where I am going next time I go overseas.

Is there a way to tell if my phone is unlocked without using a sim card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.