Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Former Android User -- Question about Notifications!

Hey all,

I recently migrated from a Galaxy S3 to the iPhone 4. I am doing this as a mini-experiment to see how much I like the iOS features and interface. As with most things, there are definitely pros and cons. One thing I want to ask about is the notification system.

I seem to get push notifications with no issues (e.g. Facebook, FB messenger, Gmail, Mail, etc). However, this is where Android seem to trumps Apple. Let's take Gmail for example. I get a notification that I got the email, I swipe in and enter the Gmail app. It would take 10-15 seconds before I can actually see the email. In Android, it would be instantaneous. I know the Google Gmail app is slower than iOS... but besides that, is it normal to get the notification on the phone but the actual email itself hasn't been updated into the app?

Even when I'm swiping my Imo notification, the actual message wouldn't show up in the IM window until I wait 3-5 seconds before it actually refreshes.

So my question is... even with notifications showing front and center, is it normal for me to not see the actual event until the app actually refreshes itself?

Note that I am on a WIFI connection, so internet speed is really a non-issue. I am aware that I am on an iPhone 4, so it will naturally be slower... but it seems that iOS handles notifications a little differently...

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 11:19 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2013 11:27 AM in response to sadonathan8839

I am aware fo that. If you read that same article, you will see that the official Google Gmail app still supports push.

As far as my experience (I am using the official Gmail app and referring to said app in the post), the push is instantaneous. But like I mentioned, the email still won't be in the app even wtih this notification.

Apr 26, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Yeah.. I have problems with all apps that have notifications.

Forget the Google Gmail example.. I'll use imo, Groupme, and Facebook as examples.

I see the notifications. But when I open the app, it won't show the newest received messages. It will take a few second before the app would refresh.

With my Android experience, all apps would update with the new information in the background. It appears that even though the apps are running in the background in iOS, the actual app appears to be paused until you reopen the app. That's when the app will refresh with the new information.

Former Android User -- Question about Notifications!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.