Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Keyboard and Trackpad Freezing

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro (no AppleCare sadly) and recently it has been having an issue where the keyboard or mouse stops working intermittantly. Today, this lasted until I had restarted and then happened again after about 5-10 minutes of using my computer. I am not sure if this is hardware of software related.

I notice this is not a complete freeze, as I still see browser windows, cursor pointers, and other on-screen activities updating. Literally the keyboard stops responding to any keypresses and the mouse pointer is frozen to one spot on the screen. Every once in awhile, the mouse pointer unfreezes for about 30 seconds, but the keyboard stays frozen.

I am up to date with all software patches and on the latest OS. The only other issue I have is that USB devices are cutting out if I jiggle them in a USB port. That makes some app development hard for me since I can't communicate with my device.

Any idea what could cause these issues? or what the best solution would be?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 12:48 PM

3 replies

May 12, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Limitin

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8GB, 15 In. Late 2008.With 500GB ,

Suddenly the track pad started "holding"not letting go after taps, etc.

I removed the battery to check thetouch pad, and, in a hunch, just connecetd the exterior power, no battery inside,

The problem went away: The battery seems a tiny bit "bloated" causing pressure under the touch pad, thus 'engaging' the lock for either track pad or mouse.

The battery is old, and possibly deformed, just that 0.5 mm or less that causes the trackpad to engage.

I will keep an eye on deformation and pressure, especially in intense applications and warm environment.

Solution: new battery, no battery, or ignore and get new touch pad. Battery about $ 110.00, pad, $250.00 plus labor.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Fernando

May 13, 2013 7:48 PM in response to Limitin

In my case, it was a swelling battery: I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro, recently upgraded from Leopard -> Snow Leopard -> Mountain Lion. But my recent very erratic trackpad and keyboard was indeed caused by a swelling battery. The "Service Battery" alert appeared in recent weeks, on a battery I usually leave plugged into power. After reading other postings, I checked the battery, which was indeed swelling noticeably, interfering with the trackpad and keyboard. Switched to my alternate battery, which still reports 87% health, and all is better now.

Macbook Pro Keyboard and Trackpad Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.