Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysterious white spots

User uploaded file

What has likely caused these white spots on the screen? Is it a faulty LCD?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 11:28 AM

That is most definitely water. I just had the same issue... so maybe someone else got your phone wet and didn't tell you...

I decided to wait for a few days to take it in and get replaced (I had a warrenty but still, who wants to spend $170). What I noticed is that the water spots started to dissapear on their own! First not very noticibley from around the edges but then more and more, and I realized it was whenever my phone was warmer than usual. In a sense the water was evaporating from under the screen. Do NOT use a hair dryer or anything on the screen, but what I did to further the process was turn my navigation map on (because the screen will not shut off then), turned the brightness up all the way, and left my phone on a desk in the sun. Those 3 things combined warmed my phone up and the spots all have dissappeared. I mean it may take a few days of repeating this, and obviously the battery will drain. But my water damage under my screen is COMPLETELY gone. I still can't believe it and I just wanted to share in hopes I can help someone else, because I searched high and low for answers online and it was only because I decided to wait to go into the store to get a replacement that I figured this out.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 11:28 AM in response to sdee11

That is most definitely water. I just had the same issue... so maybe someone else got your phone wet and didn't tell you...

I decided to wait for a few days to take it in and get replaced (I had a warrenty but still, who wants to spend $170). What I noticed is that the water spots started to dissapear on their own! First not very noticibley from around the edges but then more and more, and I realized it was whenever my phone was warmer than usual. In a sense the water was evaporating from under the screen. Do NOT use a hair dryer or anything on the screen, but what I did to further the process was turn my navigation map on (because the screen will not shut off then), turned the brightness up all the way, and left my phone on a desk in the sun. Those 3 things combined warmed my phone up and the spots all have dissappeared. I mean it may take a few days of repeating this, and obviously the battery will drain. But my water damage under my screen is COMPLETELY gone. I still can't believe it and I just wanted to share in hopes I can help someone else, because I searched high and low for answers online and it was only because I decided to wait to go into the store to get a replacement that I figured this out.

Mysterious white spots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.