Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does daisy-chaining a Mini-DisplayPort monitor in a Thunderbolt chain cause overscan issues?

I have the awkward 2011 MacBook Pro with a single Thunderbolt port and no USB3. I very frequently use it connected to my HP 2311x LED Monitor. For the very first time, today I placed a external Thunderbolt drive in-between my MacBook Pro and the HP 2311x. This causes the image to severely overscan. Correcting it by using the underscan option in the display settings significantly reduces image quality.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), HP 2311x LED Monitor

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 6:32 PM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

There's nothing wrong with the Thunderbolt device. My two best guesses are that there's something wrong with the Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable or with Apple's display drivers. I just plug a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI to DVI adapater with a DVI cable into the Thunderbolt drive, and now everything works. It's not exactly solving the problem, but at least it works.

Why does daisy-chaining a Mini-DisplayPort monitor in a Thunderbolt chain cause overscan issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.