Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 Logic Boards Interchangable/Compatible?

My Mac Pro experienced a power spike last night through my UPS. The computer now powers on but there is no boot chime nothing comes up on any monitor port.

My machine is model identifier 2,1. The Early 2007 8-Core Xeon Clovertown 3.0 ghz

A1186 - 2138

I believe it came with this Logicboard:

Mid 2007 (661-4307)

I often see it referred to this way:

Logic Board for Mac Pro First Generation Ver. 2 8-Core 820-2129-A 661-4307

I ordered a Logicboard to be on the safe side via powerbook medics:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Mac-Pro-Logic-Board-Early-2006-p-17709.html

They did not stock the original (and it is also 3 times the price). They said this is a compatible logicboard with my machine:

Mid 2006 (661-3919)

Both on their site their CSRs said it was compatible with my machine. But I just got back from Apple and they are going to properly diagnose the machine but in the meantime their tech looked up in their database to identify and estimate a Logicboard replacement. Like I suspected he only mentioned the 661-4307 and was not sure about compatibilty with the other slightly earlier board. They look identical but does anyone know for sure?

I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time and money having an incompatible board installed on my machine as Id rather spend the money on a 3,1 machine or greater so I can eventually run mountain lion.

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Model ID 2,1 8-Core Xeon 3Ghz

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 6:31 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2013 4:43 AM in response to drwebmail

Whose UPS and what size and type? done right with ALL leads to your equipjment including modem and router (something APC units can cause trouble but Cyberpower seems for me to be fine) would include some coverage from damage.

Of course a near strike can arc through the air probably.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Mac-Pro-Logic-Boards-c-5188.html

You can "turn a 1,1 into a 2,1" with firmware. That is the only change I have heard of. And a 1,1 can take a pair of 53xx Xeon as well so people do the upgrade on their own for under $200 now.

Riser cards go for $35-75. FBDIMMs are now excellent and $32 2x2GB set.

Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 Logic Boards Interchangable/Compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.