Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey line in Menu Bar

Can anyone explain this image of my menu bar? The grey bottom half runs the length of my monitor.

http://www.pbase.com/lumbardh/image/60918763.jpg

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 28, 2006 2:30 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2006 7:46 PM in response to hlumbard

The grey line is perfectly normal.

I remember wondering about this myself the first time I noticed it.

This is one of Apple's styling cues.

It's present on all my systems that have OS 10.4.x on them.

In 10.3.x it looks slightly different.

But, it is supposed to be there, so don't worry about it.

If you scroll-up to the top of the page in these forums, and look at the selection tables for "Store", "iPod + iTunes", ".Mac", "Quicktime", "Support", "Mac OS X", and even the purple line under those, you'll see a similar line in those.

So, rest easy, don't worry, it's supposed to be there ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope this helps to put your mind to rest ๐Ÿ™‚

May 29, 2006 10:31 AM in response to hlumbard

Hello,

I can't believe I never noticed it before. Thanks!

You're quite welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

I know it was quite a while before I noticed it myself. Then, I was sure it was a defect.

So, I asked around, and someone pointed the same thing out to me.

I've had OS 10.4.x installed on a couple more machines since then, and they all show it. So, it's just a bit more noticeable in 10.4.x.

Glad I was able to put your mind at ease though ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jun 15, 2006 10:24 PM in response to mhunter

Hahahah. Audible slap of my hand on forehead.

I just did a search with the same durn question: I thought the grey line was impending pixel death or something . . . and your helpful message has made clear that it's just OS aesthetics. Man, why didn't I notice this after like . . . how long of usage?

Thanks for the info. You saved me some humiliation at the comp store! ๐Ÿ™‚

Grey line in Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.