Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am wondering what is the best way to merge a very large iphoto library (from my MBP) to my new iMac (which has a few hundred photos on it now), and then upgrade to Aperture?

I have about 50GB of photos on my old MBP iphoto library.

I have a new iMac with a few hundred photos that I've uploaded since I bought it last December.

The iMac is where I want to keep everything stored as my main photo library, and manage it with a new Aperture installation.

Before I go and do this, and possibly muck it all up,

I would like to figure out the proper steps.

I am not too familiar with how to transfer files in the first place, so any help for a beginner would be much appreciated.

Starting from how to safely move the files from the MBP to the iMac, if anyone could walk me through this process.

I've been searching around but I have a specific goal (with getting everything into Aperture) so I don't want to get crossed up.

Thanks for your help!!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 12:48 AM

Try this discussion...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4956817?answerId=21742329022#21742329022

If necessary... type Merge iPhoto Libraries into the Search window top right and/or have a look at the More Like This sections on the right.

9 replies

Apr 27, 2013 1:10 AM in response to whatspo

I have about 50GB of photos on my old MBP iphoto library.

To be able to merge your libraries, your Aperture version and iPhoto version must match. For basic reading see: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

and Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

Assuming you are running the latest Aperture and iPhoto versions:

• Before merging libraries ensure that your iPhoto Library has no issues. While still on your old mac run the "library first aid tools" on your iPhoto Library. Hold down the key combination ⌥⌘ and double click your iPhoto Library, then select "Repair database".
  • Make sure you have a backup of your current Aperture Library and iPhoto library.

Do both macs have a FireWire port? Then you could connect your macs in Target Disk Mode:

See OS X Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

This way your new mac could see your old mac as an external disk and you could copy directly between the macs.

Otherwise copy your iPhoto library by drag-and-drop to an external disk (on your old mac) and connect that disk to your new mac. Check, if the external drive is formatted for mac (MacOS X Extended (Journaled)). Otherwise reformat it, before you copy the iPhoto library to that drive.

When your iPhoto Library has been moved to your new Mac launch Aperture and use the command "File > Import > Library" from the main menu bar. If there are duplicates in the Aperture library (if you imported earlier from iPhoto) you may be prompted if you want to "Add" or "Merge". If you have lots of duplicates, pick "Merge", otherwise "Add".

Post back, if you need more detailed instructions.

Good Luck.

Léonie

Nov 4, 2013 9:37 PM in response to léonie

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a very similar situation with possibly some added difficulties.

I have a late 2008 MacBook and an early 2008 iMac. Both are running Lion and iPhoto '08. I will be getting a new MacBook Pro Retina very shortly. I would like to move the iMac's iPhoto library to the new MacBook Pro and merge it with the MacBook's iPhoto library once that library is also on the MacBook Pro. I obviously need to get all iPhoto libraries up to date as you suggested above. I think I have a plan to achieve this, as follows, but I would appreciate your help:

1) Upgrade iMac to Mavericks (App store said that I need to do this prior to upgrading to iPhoto 9.5)

2) Upgrade iMac's iPhoto to 9.5

3) Use set-up assistant to migrate old MacBook to new MacBook Pro. This should upgrade the old MacBook's iPhoto library to the current iPhoto version on the MacBook Pro???

4) Install Aperture on MacBook Pro

5) Import MacBook Pro's iPhoto library into Aperture

6) Move the iMac's iPhoto library to the MacBook Pro

7) Merge recently moved iMac's iPhoto library into the new Aperture library

Is this a plan that will work?

Is there a way to do 6) wirelessly with migration assistant or some other method? Can I use the target disk mode method outlined above but use an Ethernet cable instead?

I already need to buy a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter to transfer between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. I'd rather not have to also buy a Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter to transfer between the iMac and the MacBook Pro.

Thank you.

Dec 27, 2013 3:21 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

1293 photos have been found in the iPhoto library that are not a part of this photo library.

Sometimes the connection between the edited versions and the original image files get broken. Then Aperture cannot access the original images any longer. Aperture will collect such orphaned images files in a "recovered project" during a repair or rebuild of the database.

Let Aperture import these image files; this way you can check, if it are images that should have been trashed, or lost images that you need to keep.

Dec 27, 2013 5:10 PM in response to léonie

Yes, apparently this is exactly what happened.

I re-ran the the repair on a backup of my library and chose "yes" on the import of of the found pictures.

Unfortunately, the saved pictures included both original and edited images and the import did not re-assemble them into just a single entry.

For example, I have a two pictures of a portico ceiling, the original (with an ID of P1010071_2) and another (P1010071) which is the same except that iPhoto's "Enhance" Quick Fix has been applied.

Is there any way rejoin the original (P1010071_2) and fixed images(P1010071) into a single entry?

- nello

I am wondering what is the best way to merge a very large iphoto library (from my MBP) to my new iMac (which has a few hundred photos on it now), and then upgrade to Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.