Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grayed Out Songs

Some of my songs in iTunes Match are grayed out. But they play on the computer! And they play on my iPhone! What gives? Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 250G, 500G, 1T Ext HDs; CS 5

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 10:20 PM

21 replies

May 1, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

I have the original CD disk. I therefore I imported the disk. The system only knew Track 1, Track 2, etc. so I imported them, identified the artist and album, and that moved them to the proper place in the iTunes display. I identified each track and discarded the grayed out ones, leaving the imports in place. I then updated Match Here it is. (I didn't understand your question about the symbol in the top left corner but perhaps you can see it on the image below.)

User uploaded file

May 2, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Not sure I understand your question. You'll notice on the image showing the Village People that some are grayed out, some not. Macho Man, for instance, is not grayed out but its neigbors are. The grayed out ones do not play. Notice, too, that the cloud icon is present and showing, in most cases, the download arrow. The items in iTunes were originally stored on an ext hd, where they reside to this day, but that hd is packed away. I have not messed with the Village People songs by trying to update them from the original CD.

May 2, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Dr. Dave

Hi,

By adding the the iCloud status to your song view, you will be able to establish if the tracks have been matched, uploaded, purchased, waiting or ineligible. Go to main menu, select view > view options and tick iCloud status.

Have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4054

Once you have done this you can tell me the cloud status for the tracks.

Jim

May 2, 2013 9:47 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Maybe, but I would be surprised. Match had a lot of problem getting the job done and I had to initiate it at least ten times. At least once, it ran all night. To test your theory, I'll have to wait until I can get to the hd that is now packed up so I can move to a different state. If I get a chance to test it, though, I shall. Thanks for your interest and assistance.

May 10, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Dr. Dave

Here is the present status - The ext hd is not available but the original disks are. Some of the songs were grayed out, as shown in some of the images in earlier posts. I uploaded the songs that had been grayed out. That gave me two copies of the same song, one grayed out and the new upload. I then deleted the grayed out one. I then clicked Update Match and you see the results here.

User uploaded file

The new uploads' iCloud Status is "Uploaded." But the indicator says I cannot download them. Why is that? There can't be a copyright issue; they were uploaded from an original disk. All the songs play on the computer and iPhone (and I assume iPad) when online. The phone can play them when offline but has to cellular download. Thanks

May 11, 2013 12:53 AM in response to Dr. Dave

When you add music to the iTunes library there is no compelling reason to constantly be using the "update iTunes Match" command in the Store menu. The service will automatically kick in a few minutes after "new" music is added. Let the service work; there's no need to force it.

Dr. Dave wrote:

The new uploads' iCloud Status is "Uploaded." But the indicator says I cannot download them. Why is that?

To download a track that is either "matched" or "uploaded" the track must first be deleted from the iTunes library. Do not hide it in the cloud. Then the downoad icon will show up next to the track.

Grayed Out Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.