Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 different os on 2 different hard drives same mac

i have some drivers on my old hard drive which has an tiger operating system. my new g5 powermac has leopard installed. would like to know if i can put my old hard drive with tiger in my new mac as second hard drive and extract drivers without causing confict between the two operating sysytems. will the second hard drive with tiger affect the leopard opeating system or no

cheers

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 1:49 AM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2013 1:51 AM in response to jimmkells

It won't cause conflict with Leopard (note that they are different operating systems). The only thing you will notice is that your computer will start by default in Tiger because it was the last operating system installed.

Also, note that you can only install Tiger if your Mac came with Tiger or an older OS X version

Apr 27, 2013 2:09 AM in response to mende1

i wouldnt know if tiger is the the original operating system more than likely panther its a 2.5 g5 and is and second hand. i bought recently to replace my other g5 mac that i bought new 8 years ago which broke down on me, the operating system of which is tiger. i thinking if i put the old hardrive with tiger i would be able to access some of the old drivers that work with some of my old gear. what if i took out the hard drive with leopard from the new working mac and just put my old hard drive with tiger alone. would it boot up from the tiger whether tiger even if is not its original operating system?

2 different os on 2 different hard drives same mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.