10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 6:33 AM by Brandon Sky
Brandon Sky Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro. Actually i just got my iMac and it actually has 10.7.5 Lion which was the version I was using before I had my hard drive replaced.

On November 17th, 2011, I experienced THIS problem with my battery:

Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 4.52.59 PM.png

As you can see, the battery condition is "Service Battery". Luckilly now its back to normal. (That was over a year ago). Now my battery condition is "Replace soon". For a brief moment it was "Replace now" and now its "Replace soon". My battery no longer charges to 100%, and below is a screenshot.

Screen shot 2013-04-27 at 8.50.41 AM.png

As shown below, in the MacBook pro safety information it says you should not remove the battery on your MacBook pro, because the battery is built in to the aluminium casing (or unibody), so the battery can only be removed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Screen shot 2013-04-27 at 8.57.33 AM.png

Message was edited by: Brandon Sky

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • 1. Re: Battery
    dominic23 Level 7 Level 7 (20,930 points)

You may have to take the computer to the Apple store or AASP and have the

battery replaced.

Best.

• 2. Re: Battery
    LowLuster Level 6 Level 6 (11,905 points)

You need a new battery. Take it to a apple store to have the battery replaced.

• 3. Re: Battery

The reason the built-in battery should not be replaced is that it has a special connector that any damage to is not covered by warranty. My MacBook is a 2009 one, so the warranty has expired. So does a "Replace Soon" battery = a bad battery? And how can the battery be replaced with an expired warranty?

• 4. Re: Battery

Why do you think it shouldn't be replaced. If it is telling you to replace soon that mean it needs to be replaced.

Any apple store can do that for you and it comes with a limited warranty. That special connector is something any apple store deals with daily. So I would assume they know exacty how to disconnect it and reconnect it without causing any damage.

• 5. Re: Battery

Mac Help told me to use the computer on battery power until it is below 95%, then I plug back in to charge to 100% and it works.

OK, here is the system profile for Power under Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number:          W0945119A77ZC

Manufacturer:          SMP

Device name:          bq20z451

Pack Lot Code:          0000

PCB Lot Code:          0000

Firmware Version:          0003

Hardware Revision:          0002

Cell Revision:          0100

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh):          2572

Fully charged:          No

Charging:          Yes

Full charge capacity (mAh):          2625

Health Information:

Cycle count:          1016

Condition:          Replace Soon

Battery Installed:          Yes

Amperage (mA):          452

Voltage (mV):          12571

• 6. Re: Battery

Sorry but I don't see what the problem is with changing out the battery. The system is telling you it needs to be replaced. All batteries only last so long. Yours is 4 years old and all reports state it needs to be replaced.

• 7. Re: Battery

The problem is my MacBook Pro's warranty has expired. How much would it cost to replace the battery on my MacBook pro?

• 8. Re: Battery

If you do a search for replace macbook pro battery I'm sure the suggested price would come up. Or you could call your local apple store and ask them.

Batteries aren't really covered under the warranty anyway. Unless the system is nearly new and the battery fails. So it would always be at the owner expense to replace it. Most all apple stores do this regularly so they would know exactly what it will cost you.

• 9. Re: Battery
    dominic23 Level 7 Level 7 (20,930 points)

Battery Cycle Count /Battery Life

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

Battery cost

Battery Replacement > How much does battery replacement cost?

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

• 10. Re: Battery

It would take $129 USD to replace the battery, we could do it ourselves with the proper battery.