Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete the backup stored on my computer?

Today I bought a harddrive and backed my computer up to it. Now when I look at the storage of my mac over 50% of it is said to be backups and it wasn't like this before. Is there a way for me to get rid of this?

Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 3:51 AM

Do "Backups" appear on your Mac's hard drive, on the external drive or on both of them? It's normal that you see "Backups" on the external drive, but also it's normal to see "Backups" on the Mac's hard drive if you are using OS X Mountain Lion. That's because OS X creates local snapshots on the hard drive > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

If you want, you can delete or turn them off, but they are automatically deleted when the hard drive gets full, so you don't have to worry about that. Apart from that, if the external drive where you make Time Machine backups gets full, Time Machine will start automatically deleting old backups

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2013 3:51 AM in response to goats

Do "Backups" appear on your Mac's hard drive, on the external drive or on both of them? It's normal that you see "Backups" on the external drive, but also it's normal to see "Backups" on the Mac's hard drive if you are using OS X Mountain Lion. That's because OS X creates local snapshots on the hard drive > http://pondini.org/TM/30.html

If you want, you can delete or turn them off, but they are automatically deleted when the hard drive gets full, so you don't have to worry about that. Apart from that, if the external drive where you make Time Machine backups gets full, Time Machine will start automatically deleting old backups

How do I delete the backup stored on my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.