Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pointing a pc to an external iphoto library

I have all of the photos on an external drive. My mac has iphoto, and points to the drive. I have a new pc with Windows 8 as well. Do I have to use iPhoto on the pc to use the directory files on the drive?

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 5:19 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2013 5:20 AM in response to scthompson

iPhoto uses a library to store all the photos you use in iPhoto, and that library can only be opened with iPhoto, only available for OS X, so you can't open the iPhoto library in a PC. Now, in order to see your photos in the PC, you have to copy all the photos from iPhoto to another folder on the external drive, so you will be able to see them in the PC

Apr 27, 2013 5:26 AM in response to scthompson

iCloud is an option to move photos from iPhoto on your Mac to your PC with iCloud Control Panel, but that's not the best option. Also, there are other services in the Cloud which allows you to sync files between Macs and PCs.

As you have an external drive, the best option is the one I recommended you: copy the photos to the external drive directly, without copying the iPhoto library

Pointing a pc to an external iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.