5 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 11:27 AM by Old Toad
gritzildino Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Basically When I delete an Album or pictures from an album it doesnt delete photo from the iphoto library does it? How can I get the pictures to delete from the library also? And, How can I get all the pictures in my iphoto library that are not part of an album deleted?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (61,375 points)

Deleting form an album delets from that album and not from the library (or the computer) - if you want to delete from the library (and the computer) depress and hold the command and options keys and press the delete key - then empty the iPhoto trash (do not let more that 100 or so photos build up there) - and the system trash

All iPhoto Keyboard shortcuts are here - http://www.apple.com/support/iphoto/shortcuts/

To delete photos from events or photos view select the photo and press delete (or drag the photo to the iPhoto trash) - then empty the iPhoto trash (do not let more that 100 or so photos build up there) - and the system trash

LN

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (121,435 points)

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library:

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 9.15.56 AM.jpg

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin.  Then empty the trash bin as above.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurances of that photo in the library.

OT

• gritzildino Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

thanks! this was very helpful.

I Have a lot of photos in my library that are not a part of an album. Is there a way for iphoto to find all the photos not belonging to any album and delete them?

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (128,920 points)

File -> New Smart Album

Album -> is not -> Any

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (121,435 points)

Yes.  Create a Smart Album with the criteria:  Album is not Any.

iPhoto001.jpg