9 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 12:02 PM by MaverickFlyboy
MaverickFlyboy Level 1 Level 1

I'd be really grateful if you could give me some advice and guidance on where I can go to learn to code on a Mac to develop Mac and iOS apps.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 2.9GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD
Solved by etresoft on Apr 27, 2013 2:11 PM Solved

A university computer science program. Once you have enough experience, you can figure out the details of a new platform like OS X or iOS on your own. There are a number of online courses and plenty of books, but we all needed a couple of years of hand-holding to start.

Reply by Frank Caggiano on May 1, 2013 5:05 AM Helpful

The best place to start is the Apple Dev Center see Getting Started and Start Developing Mac Apps Today which has a tutorial that will get you into Xcode and Objective-C right off.

There are a number of courses in iTunes U Apple's iBooks (if you have an IOS device) has a number of books on Objective-C, Xcode, etc.

The Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide has on-site courses but also publish some good books. Kochan's Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) is not a bad step-by-step intro to Objective-C especially if you have no C background. He ignores the GUI stuff so as not to confuse the issue and concentrates on Objective -C. He does get into the Foundation classes in the second half of the book.

Good luck.

regards

All replies