Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook slow and shuts down when battery indicator is not empty

Hi everyone,

I have a 17'' macbook pro bought mid June 2007.

Three weeks ago I noticed that my macbook pro would shut down at 20% battery (if I was not plugged) and would not start back until I plugged it in. I figured it was a battery problem. However, my macbook started getting really slow with the little 'volleyball' icon appearing more and more often without having to use lots of different of programs in parallel.

Also last week I realized that now my macbook pro shuts down automatically at 67% battery! I checked the little button behind the battery and when this happens it shows to me 3 out 5 light indicator. So I'm guessing that the battery is not dead and yet my computer shuts down.

I resetted my SMC (I think that's what it's called) and repaired my disk... I have not reformatted it though.

Can someone help me out? Is the fact that my mac is slow related to its shutting down prematurely?

For info: my battery is 2y old and has 360 cycles.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Cheers

aqualover

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 2:53 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2013 1:54 AM in response to pjdube

Hey pjdube,

Thanks for the answer.

I tried calibrating my battery but unfortunately since my macbook shuts down at 64% (yay small improvement compared to 70%...) I can't follow the guidelines....

This is my second battery. The first one was changed 2 years ago (it started deforming itself) for free as it was apparently a current problem.

This second battery is about 2y old but since it's my second one I do not think it has a warranty....

Do you think that my slow mac is linked to this battery problem? And if this is a battery problem or more of a software problem?

Thanks in advance!

Macbook slow and shuts down when battery indicator is not empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.